• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)
The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Tiling over existing ceramic tiles in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

klunk

TF
Reactions
Hi,

So i have a bathroom floor to tile the house is around 8 months old and they want the floor tiles changing but adamant dont want the mess of ripping up old ones,

Whats a good adhesive to use i was going use mapei flexible and some kind of primer after i have cleaned old tiles with sugar soap

Any tips welcome

uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
O

On one

So what kind of uplift in the existing floor levels is there.........hallway carpet to bathroom floor?

klunk

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So what kind of uplift in the existing floor levels is there.........hallway carpet to bathroom floor?
Its level with the carpet in the bedroom , they are happy to have a slight step created its a ensuite

O

On one

Its level with the carpet in the bedroom , they are happy to have a slight step created its a ensuite
So the existing floor is unlikely to have any overboarding if the the floor heights are level.
Your taking a risk overtiling, not knowing what the makeup of the subfloor is. If you were to take this job on I would be explaining to the customer that no guarantee's would be offered and that entails for you if it did fail.

klunk

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the existing floor is unlikely to have any overboarding if the the floor heights are level.
Your taking a risk overtiling, not knowing what the makeup of the subfloor is. If you were to take this job on I would be explaining to the customer that no guarantee's would be offered and that entails for you if it did fail.
I have explained im not happy overtiling but i have done a lot of work in past for them and members of their family so dont really want give them a flat no, regarding substrate i assume as its a new build and was tiled when built it was prepared properly so the floor was level

S

Spare Tool

If you really must tile over (not in any way advised due to relying on previous prep) prime and grip primer, Mapei or TM will give you the best bond to existing tiles...

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,486 57 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Got failure written all over it , it's not anything like tiling over a solid screed floor .

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,088 152 1
Sometimes you just have to take control - do it correctly or walk away - or you will find you don’t get any more work from them.
Nowhere have you said it’s a timber or solid floor.

Localtiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,307 88 1
Take them up of don't do the job, it's a new build and weather it be timber or a screed floor, they will have been fixed badly.

Reply to Tiling over existing ceramic tiles in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

TileFix Direct
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.