Discuss Tiling Over DITRA, need to clean excess out of little square cutouts? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

halate

-
Reaction score
Hey There,

I'm tiling 3' by 6" ceramic tiles over DITRA in a herringbone pattern. I can only do several tiles at a time, because of time constraints. So I do a little area and place the tiles, but of course there's all the excess thin set from either spillage or just going a little too far, beyond where I'm placing the actual tile for that day.
Normally cleaning up the extra thin set is not a problem, to make the area clean for the next day. But with the DITRA this is a major pain, because of all the little square cutouts in the DITRA itself. Does anyone know if I have to clean that out all the time, or can I just leave the thin set in the little cutouts, and when it comes time to tile, I can just put the thin set over that?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

T

Travee

You could float the whole thing with Thinset to fill in all of the ditra holes using the flat side of a trowel. Using a 3x6" ceramic on the floor? Very strange. If you need to speed things up while you are setting, leave the edges and just focus on setting the inside of the pattern correct and square. Maybe use a drywall knife or putty knife to clean the perimeter edges then come back the next day and fill in the perimeter cuts.

Reply to Tiling Over DITRA, need to clean excess out of little square cutouts? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks