Discuss Tiling over bathroom paint in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I'm about to start tiling my bathroom and was wondering if is there some sort of self etching primer available for priming glossy bathroom paint before tiling?

The bathroom was previously tiled 1/2 way up

20211107_122830.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You could do with going over it all with a sander, then acrylic primer, then cement-based adhesive.

What's the wall like under that? Is it brick or plasterboard or what? Don't suppose you know? As weight comes into it if it's brick then render then plaster - it's actually weaker than plasterboard, then tile.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've been helping a mate do his ensuite and two walls are in bathroom paint. I flat backed the wall with cement adhesive then spread the back of a bit of tile and stuck it on. We had to use a chisel and hammer to get it off. It took the paint with it but not without a fight. Nobody wants to give a clear answer other than sanding it off which is a mammoth task. I'm not convinced priming bathroom paint even helps.

Reaction score
I've been helping a mate do his ensuite and two walls are in bathroom paint. I flat backed the wall with cement adhesive then spread the back of a bit of tile and stuck it on. We had to use a chisel and hammer to get it off. It took the paint with it but not without a fight. Nobody wants to give a clear answer other than sanding it off which is a mammoth task. I'm not convinced priming bathroom paint even helps.

Thank you! I'll try this. If the adhesive sticks like yours did I'll, just score it up with a Stanley knife for a little extra assurance.

Reply to Tiling over bathroom paint in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks