Discuss Tiling over asbestos vinyl..... in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

B

Bunjit

I've ripped up my lino to lay ceramics, to find grey 60's, 12 inch vinyl tiles. After removing a few loose cracked ones (revealing a thin black tarry adhesive), 90% is well stuck down - I started researching and found they are probably asbestos. :mad2:

Either way, don't want to run the risk of pulling up any more. :yikes:

I know there are lots of posts on the subject but I've done shed loads of research and read so many forum posts in the subject now I'm overwhelmed with info, it's such a flippin' science - what I understand is:

• Leaving them down may not be the professional thing to do, but its safer than taking them up.
  • It''s possible to successfully tile over if they are well stuck down

So my questions are:
  1. I understand I need to 'prime' the vinyl - what's the best to use?
  2. Do I then have to add a levelling compound? My Dad's done a few floors and is helping out - he reckons it doesn't need it (but he'd do anything to save a quid or two!)
  3. If so, I've read self levelling compound's tension may loosen tiles, so any recommendations there?

I already bought some flexible fast set adhesive, (Evo) and I've not much in the way budget - I take after me dad! :thumbsup:

Tilersforums is a cracking resource by the way, thanks to all the posters who've offered advice so far on this, I've probably read it! :smilewinkgrin:

I

Ian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome along to the forum. If the tiles are sound and flat I would recommend giving them a good clean with a degreaser then prime with f.ball p131 primer. The floor can now be levelled or tiled onto. I'd be using a flexible tile adhesive.

B

Bunjit

Thanks Brian, (your 200th!)

Just looked the primer up - I reckon we have some F ball at work I can use, so that's a bonus!

Should I prime the night before tiling, does it matter?

I know its not the perfect thing to do by any means, but there's this bitumen under the tiles anyway, so never going to get a perfect substrate. Thanks again fella

S

SandyFloor

If you're going to do this put P131 on neat ( as it's a non porous surface it's to form a tack) and then screed with Ball Stopgap 300HD allowing 4- 5 sq. mtrs per bag. You can pour the screed fairly soon after priming ideally when it gets tacky.

I would consider getting down to the concrete though as your surface needs to be dead solid and bitumen and vinyl often isn't.

S

Scott

I think you will find they have a trace content of asbestos. If they were proper asbestos then there are a lot of houses in the Uk that would have to have them removed. Personally id take them up, once you get one up they do have a tendancy to come up fairly easily with a scraper

B

Bunjit

I think you will find they have a trace content of asbestos. If they were proper asbestos then there are a lot of houses in the Uk that would have to have them removed. Personally id take them up, once you get one up they do have a tendancy to come up fairly easily with a scraper
You're not the first to have advised this. I know you're right from 'doing the job right' persective and I think they would come up pretty easily mostly without breaking, but the invisible threat just scares the bejesus out of me. I've probably removed 1m2 out of 10 so far.

Hmm... you've left me with more to mull over. Don't pull up and worry about the tiles not setting, do and worry about asbestosis.....

Thanks Scottley,.... I think.. ;)

S

Scott

Insurance companies take them up now as a matter of course, purely because they have asbestos in them. The last job i did they sent a team in with a scraper, hammer and chisel. No PPE to speak of.

B

Bunjit

OK, last three questions i promise!

So if I do take them up, which is looking more likely now, leaving the black stuff (it's very thin and 30-50% is coming off with the tiles) then do i stuill use the P131 to prime?

I looked up Ball Stopgap 300HD - i have about 12m2 to cover, that's £75 for the levelling. Is there not a cheaper option?

Once levelled, do I need to add a coat of primer again?

Thanks again to the replies, it looks like im going to do it right after all, so I'll post before and after pics!

I

Ian

Hey up mate, if your floor is really badly out of level I would put some SLC on it. It will save time and adhesive trying to straighten it up. If its not too bad, prime with p131 neat over the bitumen then tile. Can I just say that not putting SLC down will be false economy if you end up using twice as much adhesive. It won't do any harm to prime the SLC before tiling just make sure it is watered down 3:1 (water : primer)

Reply to Tiling over asbestos vinyl..... in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.