UK Pro Tiling Training
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Tiling over asbestos vinyl..... in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
B

Bunjit

I've ripped up my lino to lay ceramics, to find grey 60's, 12 inch vinyl tiles. After removing a few loose cracked ones (revealing a thin black tarry adhesive), 90% is well stuck down - I started researching and found they are probably asbestos. :mad2:

Either way, don't want to run the risk of pulling up any more. :yikes:

I know there are lots of posts on the subject but I've done shed loads of research and read so many forum posts in the subject now I'm overwhelmed with info, it's such a flippin' science - what I understand is:

• Leaving them down may not be the professional thing to do, but its safer than taking them up.
  • It''s possible to successfully tile over if they are well stuck down

So my questions are:
  1. I understand I need to 'prime' the vinyl - what's the best to use?
  2. Do I then have to add a levelling compound? My Dad's done a few floors and is helping out - he reckons it doesn't need it (but he'd do anything to save a quid or two!)
  3. If so, I've read self levelling compound's tension may loosen tiles, so any recommendations there?

I already bought some flexible fast set adhesive, (Evo) and I've not much in the way budget - I take after me dad! :thumbsup:

Tilersforums is a cracking resource by the way, thanks to all the posters who've offered advice so far on this, I've probably read it! :smilewinkgrin:

TileFix Direct
B

Bunjit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You must be logged in to see the message.

B

Bunjit

I

Ian

Reply to Tiling over asbestos vinyl..... in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.