Discuss Tiling onto tampered concrete in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all well :)
I've been asked to tile a large area of floor, the newly laid subase is tampered concrete so my question is, should I use self levelling or uncoupling membrane before tiling? I know I cant tile directly onto the concrete. The condition of the subase is good, pretty level with a few cracks and minor chips in the concrete.
I was thinking self levelling might be the best option here but wanted some advice/clarification from others.

Thank you ☺️

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all well :)
I've been asked to tile a large area of floor, the newly laid subase is tampered concrete so my question is, should I use self levelling or uncoupling membrane before tiling? I know I cant tile directly onto the concrete. The condition of the subase is good, pretty level with a few cracks and minor chips in the concrete.
I was thinking self levelling might be the best option here but wanted some advice/clarification from others.

Thank you ☺️
What is tampered concrete?

Reaction score
Is it tamped that you are meaning full of ridges?
Hi Brian, yes I think we're talking about the same thing lol. It does have ridges. The area has been filled ready to have a wooden unit put on top for a cafe. My question is, should I use self levelling on it before tiling? Prime then level?
Thanks Bri.

Reaction score
Hey Redgoddess
Firstly, is this an outside area? (Building a cafe) Secondly, what tiles are you thinking of using?
By the sounds of it it is an outdoor area.
There is no need to complicate this job. My advice would be to use 20mm slabs/tiles. Lay them using a sand and cement 1/4 mix cement/sharp sand. The mix needs to be semi dry i.e when mixed it should hold it's shape when you squeeze a handful. The bed should be around 15mm thick.
For a primer use a bonding agent mixed with the cement 50/50 and paint directly onto the concrete and the back of the tile before laying.
Lay and level the tiles with a 5mm spacing, then grout using a wide joint cement based grout.
good luck.

Reply to Tiling onto tampered concrete in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks