Discuss Tiling onto non-flat chipboard floor - and with or without Ditra matting? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite.
The base floor is 18 mm chipboard and is screwed down hard to the joists, but dips down by a max. of around 4 to 5 mm in places.

When laying the tiles, the tiler followed the floor precisely, and hence the finished tiling also dipped down, leaving a gap of 6 mm beneath the vanity unit. The tiler said that was unavoidable and was acceptable in his opinion. But, as a consequence, the furniture installers were reluctant to install the units due to the unevenness of the floor.

My first question is, would a competent tiler not be able to check the floor prior to starting the tiling, and compensate for such unevenness to a degree when laying the tiles? Or is it simply not feasible to expect to get a flat tiled floor unless what you're tiling onto isn't perfectly flat to begin with?
A different tiler who quoted for the work said he would simply level each tile as he laid the floor, building up any low spots with additional cement, to guarantee a perfectly flat finish despite the unevenness of the base floor, but the guy that did the job said that's not possible.
So who's right?

My second question relates to the tiler's overall approach. He first screwed down 6 mm marine ply onto the chipboard, and then cemented Ditra matting all over as a decoupling membrane. Tiles then went on top. That sounds sensible to me, given the 18 mm chipboard + 6 mm ply in a small, potentially humid shower room. However, the other tiler who quoted for the work said he felt that the use of Ditra matting was 'over the top', and suggested that cement board screwed directly onto the chipboard before tiling would be better, despite not providing any decoupling from the subfloor.
So who's got the best approach, or are they both right?

It's interesting that the second tiler has offered to redo the work and get it flat, but I don't know who to believe and am getting very worried about the cost of getting this right.

All thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks and regards.

P

petetile

If the floor is solid floorboards and flat ....id say in that small area would be fine 6mm with ditra,,but id of used 12mm ply. ..and no ditra..but i'm old school..and on the leveling of the room id say was no chance for the tiler to do that without maybe future probs esp as on wood subframe..but he could of chanced it and could of been fine......but wouldnt guaranteed it would be ok. trying to level it.even if used cement board.

P

petetile

The vanity fitter obviously was advised the measurment was going to be X..and messed up it sounds like to me..why the vanity fitter put up 1st anyway?..sounds all a bit strange to me!!

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
The vanity fitter obviously was advised the measurment was going to be X..and messed up it sounds like to me..why the vanity fitter put up 1st anyway?..sounds all a bit strange to me!!
Nothing strange at all really, and nothing messed up other than the tiling. The finished floor simply wasn't flat, and it was the tiler that insisted the vanity units were installed after he'd tiled the floor.

But the good news is that after I dug up the tiles and re-plyed the floor, my alternative tiler came back, carefully assessed the overall evenness of the floor and proceeded to retile it using Ditra. We now have a beautifully tiled, perfectly flat and level floor with which I am immensely pleased.

Thanks to everybody for your comments, all interesting and helpful in stimulating a conversation with our floor tilers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did you specify a degree of required flatness to the tiler.

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
Sadly wouldn't hold up in court...
Didn't need to. Initially the guy that did it first defended his work as a best possible attempt, but after friendly discussion agreed himself that it wasn't as good a piece of work that he would normally be able to achieve and, at the end of the day, offered not to charge me. He's actually a really nice bloke, just had a less good day I guess.

Reply to Tiling onto non-flat chipboard floor - and with or without Ditra matting? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks