Discuss tiling on vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

F

frank white

could someone plz tell me if it is possible to tile ( floor tiles ) straight on top of vinyl floor tiles, the vinyl floor tiles seem to be stuck down well and the thought of lifting them is a nightmare as i have had to do it before on a previous job,many thanks in advance.

kilty55

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reactions
Re: tiling in vinyl tiles

hi frank,best to remove the old tiles

be careful some old tiles can contain asbestos

A

aph257

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

they've got to come up. what substrate is it?

R

Rich

Same as above Im afraid, every tiler hates doing it but they need to come up. You should always do what you can to tile onto the best possible substrate.

If its worth doing, do it right :thumbsup:

T

The D

if the tiles are stuck down and are not loose then it is possible to tile over them. they will need priming but if you lift the tiles and they have been stuck with black bitumen type adhesive non of the adhesive companies will guaranty there primers to this material so it will need removing.

F

frank white

thanks for all the replies i think i will have to grit me teeth and just get on with and start lifting them.

D

DHTiling

The use of a heat gun deffo speeds this up... then slurry bond over the residue ready for tiling... but i will say try to remove as much glue residue as you can.

kilty55

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reactions
are you fast on the draw sandy......:oops: ill get me coat:coolgleamA:

S

SandyFloor

I'm really fast .....keep burning my bits when I put them back in my pockets though.

Reply to tiling on vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.