Discuss Tiling on to plasterbaord after plaster removed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tony Dimartino

Hi,
I have remove tiles from my bathroom, (half tiled) and managed to scrape the plaster off the rest of the wall without damaging the plasterbaord. My question is :-
1. Can I tile straight on to the plasterboard now the plaster has gone?
2. Do I need to seal the plasterbaoard before tiling? I understand pva is a no no, but if it does need sealing what should I Use?

Thanks

O

Old Mod

Yes you can tile to the Pb as long as it is sound, flat and load bearing.
Prime it with an acrylic primer, preferably the same brand as your adhesive, for warranty protection.
Use a standard set bagged adhesive. Don’t be persuaded to use ready mixed or rapid set.

F

Flintstone

Unless of course you want to fit thick porcelain tiles onto the plaster, which will likely be too heavy to go on a skimmed wall

T

tony Dimartino

Unless of course you want to fit thick porcelain tiles onto the plaster, which will likely be too heavy to go on a skimmed wall
Hi, Ive managed to remove the skimmed plaster without damaging the board, so intend to tile on to the plasterbaord, the tiles are 600x300 porcelian

P

Perfect Tiling

Check the weight of the tiles.....60 x 30 porcelain can be very heavy per sq mtr and unskimmed plasterboard will only take 32kg per sq mtr....allowing 4kg for adhesive etc. Prime as mentioned above and use a cement adhesive....remember to back butter (skim) the rear of the tiles for better adhesiion.

Reply to Tiling on to plasterbaord after plaster removed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks