Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling on to painted wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jamorgan90

Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi all,
I am doing on a job and just looking for abit of advice. I have a stair case wall to tile in 200x100 what prime would you use? Tile master grip ?

mma

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Maybe a little bit of overkill for that size of tile. Tape test and sugar soap is what I would do!

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
do I understand you want to tile on a painted wall? if so, remove the paint. couple of ways to do this.
1, sand downs with a sander, use a course grit... I've done this its fairly quick, but use dust extraction cos it can get messy.
2, spread a thin layer of tubbed tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the area you want to tile, wait 15 minutes and scrape it off. when you do this you realise why you shouldn't tile over paint.
Then prime with a primer. I use tilemaster primeplus 3 to 1
hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoneGuy

As @Chris Gibbs memrioned earlier.
Also if you can’t get all the paint off score the wall with a Stanley knife to give the walls key for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to bond.
Make sure you prime before tile

OP
F

Flintstone

Also, I do not understand the advice of score paint with a Stanley knife to give a key, is that 1% of the wall where your scores are going to make a difference?

OP
P

Perry

I remember a little while ago, flying into Geneva for the day just a little job. After being told the wall was new plaster board. Got there and a painted wall, was told by the site agent he has sealed it and it will never come of the paint. I said may be not. But what has that got to do with how strong the Paint is. Good bye I dont want to miss my plane in the morning.

Reply to Tiling on to painted wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock