Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling on to bitumen floor. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am a plumber. I am doing a job at a customers house, she is having stone tiles laid on the kitchen floor but it has a bitumen coat. The tiler came this morning and was not happy tile on to the bitumen, he has made a few calls and still does not have a solution. The customer called the supplier of the stone tiles and they are sending somebody to have a look. That won't happen until next week so thought I would ask here to see if anybody knows of a product or method to fix tiles to bitumen?

T

Tommythetiler80

My personal first action would be to prime the floor with a suitable sbr primer then cover the floor with SLC to cover the old bitumen. Then once dry prime the floor again and you'll be ready to fix your decoupling matting in prep for the stone tiles. Surely the tiler should know all this though. But good luck hope all goes well .

O

One Day

There are 4 types of bitumen flooring, one of them is a real pain and there's no way to tell!
Safest solution is to use a grit primer such as tilemaster prime+grip. Then you can tile as usual. One caution though; it's probably worth using an uncoupling membrane just in case oil rises and stains the stone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tx Impish, I have passed that on to my customer. She feels a little happier now as there seems to be a solution. She has 40 sq mtrs of stone slab/tiles ready to go down in her kitchen. dining room and hallway. All of it is covered in this bitumen.

C

chenchen

Hi every experts,

I am from Taiwan and currently engaged in construction industry. tile on bitumen/ liquid asphalt waterproofing is very common here, but this results in serious problems in the long run. In Taiwan, we usually have bitumen/liquid asphalt waterproofing products over 1:3 cement mortar paste. Then, we apply cementitious tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over bitume/ liquid asphalt waterproofing layer and install tiles. However, the weather here is quite hot which causes bitumen/ liquid asphalt waterproofing to contract easily due to high temperature. So, I don't really understand why some Taiwanese still like this type of waterproofing products. I heard tile on cementitious waterproofing membrane is better than on bitumen/liquid asphalt. Is this true?

C

Chen Chen

Hi every experts,

I am from Taiwan and currently engaged in construction industry. tile on bitumen/ liquid asphalt waterproofing is very common here, but this results in serious problems in the long run. In Taiwan, we usually have bitumen/liquid asphalt waterproofing products over 1:3 cement mortar paste. Then, we apply cementitious tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over bitume/ liquid asphalt waterproofing layer and install tiles. However, the weather here is quite hot which causes bitumen/ liquid asphalt waterproofing to contract easily due to high temperature. So, I don't really understand why some Taiwanese still like this type of waterproofing products. I heard tile on cementitious waterproofing membrane is better than on bitumen/liquid asphalt. Is this true?

C

Chen Chen

Hi every experts,

Hi Chen Chen, perhaps I can come to Taiwan and show you how we do tanking in the Uk. It could be a great business opportunity. Sell this technic to the main contractors out there.
If you want to discuss further please email me on [email protected]
Thanks

Reaction score
I am a plumber. I am doing a job at a customers house, she is having stone tiles laid on the kitchen floor but it has a bitumen coat. The tiler came this morning and was not happy tile on to the bitumen, he has made a few calls and still does not have a solution. The customer called the supplier of the stone tiles and they are sending somebody to have a look. That won't happen until next week so thought I would ask here to see if anybody knows of a product or method to fix tiles to bitumen?

Reaction score
Ok so you need to use an agitated primer trimline group will supply this or pro tiler. Or you can make your own with a slurry mix of SBR water 3/1 mix with rapid set s1 tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ you can brush or trowel in on

Reply to Tiling on to bitumen floor. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock