Discuss Tiling on Multipro board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
OK lads, having a right mare here. Re-doing a bathroom, shower etc. Have boarded the shower with multipro and extended this board across to the end of the room. Existing crap was plywood which had rotted etc, didn't make sense to multipro the shower area then finish the wall with something different; just to keep everything kosher the entire wall, enclosure etc is the same material. 8X4 by 12mm multipro cementitious board. It's white, smooth on one side and slightly textured on the other. As per the 'destructions' I am tiling on the textured side.
Doing various tests etc and with a new bag of standard set wall and floor tile adhesive/cement. So about 30 hours ago I mixed a trial run on some scrap board and stuck a couple of clean subway tiles on, nicely notched etc.
Today I had a looksee, the cement had squeezed out a little and I tapped it gently with a trowel and it had hardened off beautifully but the tiles simply dropped off ! The cement had hardened and stuck firmly to the tiles but had ZERO adhesion to the board ! I remember Hardy board and I still have some of it, they used to say you didn't need to prime it and I never did, done many bit and bobs with it using tile cement and mortar etc, never had a problem.
What am I missing here, do I need to prime this ? I have some SBR, what dilution should I use ? It's a bit scary to get to this point and run up against a total failure of what I'd expect to be a simple job, sticking tiles onto cement board and expecting them to stay on.

Reaction score
Is it dusty?
Especially if you’ve cut with a grinder the board will be covered in dust, you have to get rid of this.
Tbh I always prime hardie and the like as otherwise it sucks out the moisture from the addy too quick for my liking.
I also tile on the smooth side of these type of boards…

Reaction score
Is it dusty?
Especially if you’ve cut with a grinder the board will be covered in dust, you have to get rid of this.
Tbh I always prime hardie and the like as otherwise it sucks out the moisture from the addy too quick for my liking.
I also tile on the smooth side of these type of boards…
Thanks, but I cleaned them down first with a damp cloth and allowed the air atvthem.
I took a gamble and primed them with 4.1 or 5.1 SBR ( memory's fuzzy on the exact ratio) and the tiles pulled the fibres off the board before the joint would break so that's worked out ok.
Still having bother though with products and misleading product info. I'll post another thread.

Reply to Tiling on Multipro board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks