Discuss Tiling On Floor Which Is Slightly Uneven in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had my floor self levelled by a tiler, unfortunately it's cracked twice but this time the floor is sound with no hollow spots, so hopefully I am ok to tile over. It's an L shape room.

I have used a laser level with a piece of timber to mark the varying heights of floor, some areas are 5mm out, some 10mm, but no more than that.

How would I go about tiling any tips? Ideally want the lower areas at the lower height (without building it up with adhesive to make the floor dead flat) or is this not possible?

Reaction score
Depends where the high points are. You may be able to subtlety slope down to a lower point to avoid build up. But not if you are going to end up hitting another high point. Lay each row at a time and always use the tile at the highest point as your setting point for each row. If you have that tile with the minimum bed of adhesive to ensure coverage that will determine you height. If trying to slope a row down subtlety to avoid build up. Its worth placing a level on the slope to ensure you aren't pitching down too much.

Reply to Tiling On Floor Which Is Slightly Uneven in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks