Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling on external painted masonry in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Folks,

Just finished painting the rendered wall in my garden before getting ready to tile the floor however i am dissapointed with the finish on the wall. I am now considering tile the wall aswell but have a problem now that it has been painted. Any advice on a solution would be very helpful.

The wall is a new block wall about 60cm high running all the way around the garden as a raised bed, rendered, stabilised, finished with 2 coats of sandtex trade, and topped with flat top coping.

From what i understand, the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ will not bond to paint so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Gav

OP
U

user123

Hi Folks,

Just finished painting the rendered wall in my garden before getting ready to tile the floor however i am dissapointed with the finish on the wall. I am now considering tile the wall aswell but have a problem now that it has been painted. Any advice on a solution would be very helpful.

The wall is a new block wall about 60cm high running all the way around the garden as a raised bed, rendered, stabilised, finished with 2 coats of sandtex trade, and topped with flat top coping.

From what i understand, the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ will not bond to paint so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Gav

Would you post a photo of it so we can see?

OP
C

Colour Republic

Hi Folks,
rendered, stabilised, finished with 2 coats of sandtex trade,

Good choice of exterior paint but should not have been stabilised. Stabiliser is for dusty chalky surfaces that need bonding. By stabilising new sound render you have reduced the bond the paint has on the wall.

Wire brush attachment on a drill and go to work!

OP
G

gavc0122

Thanks for replying, I havent got a camera but will try and borrow one later to post a picture of the wall, i stabalised it before painting as the render was very chalky and thought i needed to before applying the paint. If only i had thought of tile the wall before the weekend i could have saved myself alot of trouble. I have read up on marmox board screwed to the wall and then tiled as an option but that will mean removing the coping as its only overhanging the wall about 15-20mm.

I might have to get a pro in to have a look

Reply to Tiling on external painted masonry in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock