Discuss Tiling on chipboard - why not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

Get a door strip that has a good transition between the different levels, I agree they can hard work at times though

H

Hawkofeagles

Get a door strip that has a good transition between the different levels, I agree they can hard work at times though

Yeah have been asking questions in another thread about door strips, anyhelp here would be great...

Cjc

-
Reaction score
I refuse to tile onto cxhipboard, although some tilers do and have no problems. Chipboard swells and contracts to much for adhesive to hold to (IMO) but adhesive manufacturers will guarentee their product so the call is down to you. I would play it safe and forget Ply, over board with a 6mm backer board like no mope ply or hardie.
Hi folks, I’m a newbi to the forum as well but was finding all your ideas helpful. I am also presented with the problem of laying ceramics onto chipboard in my daughter in laws house. In this instance I advised her to check with a pro as I had doubts of ceramics going onto chipboard however she just went out and spent a lot of money on the tiles she loves!! I can’t feel a great degree of flex in the chipboard but it isn’t screwed down. As it’s not my house don’t fancy taking the toilet and sink out and ripping up the floor. If I screw the chipboard down and then use Granfix products would this suffice.
You comments greatly appreciated

R

Ripsaw

I’m a carpenter and most of what I’ve read is bullshit, sure chipboard will deform if it’s soaked, and I mean soaked, if installed correctly, p5 grade chipboard flooring is better than ply, its not as hydroscopic as ply, hence it won’t shrink or contract as much, but if you’ve sealed the floor, adhesive to joints and polyurethane glue to joists and sufficient fixing with screws at least one and a half longer than the depth of the floor, and the floor is stable and without any flex , then I cannot see why chipboard of p5 grade or above is not a decent subfloor for tiling, as I mentioned at the top, I’m a carpenter, am I missing something?

Reply to Tiling on chipboard - why not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks