Discuss Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Spring toggles, normally used in plasterboard with cavity behind, they have wings which spring out behind boarding, and screw in to lock in position. Another option for fixing board , is hollow wall anchors. ( needs a setting tool though).

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
Spring toggles, normally used in plasterboard with cavity behind, they have wings which spring out behind boarding, and screw in to lock in position. Another option for fixing board , is hollow wall anchors. ( needs a setting tool though).
Sound interesting but I just wouldn't have confidence in the whole lot not falling down on one of his kids heads. I can't believe how weedy this wall is!
I suppose its alright if you leave it alone.

D

dave l and l

there are a few houses near me that were built using that construction. i have tiled a couple of bathrooms, if i remember it was the door wall into the hallway that was made of that ,the rest was plastered brick.
i never had a problem tiling onto those walls, i have worked in one of the houses since and the tiles are still fine , it was a ceramic tile however,

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
there are a few houses near me that were built using that construction. i have tiled a couple of bathrooms, if i remember it was the door wall into the hallway that was made of that ,the rest was plastered brick.
i never had a problem tiling onto those walls, i have worked in one of the houses since and the tiles are still fine , it was a ceramic tile however,
Yes this is the bath/hall wall. I'd be happy to tile it with lighter tiles... well if the surface was tided up a bit.

S

scooby9858

i came across this once but i was only fitting light tiles and got away with it.but during a search for a remedy i came across a post which said to carefully cut the inside gyproc and remove it and the honeycomb there is a 35mm stud top and bottom to build a new stud frame puting glue on the framework to stabalise the hall side. and when the hall is getting redecorated again screws can be screwed in from the hall side.probably be a big job but might be helpfull to you.

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
i came across this once but i was only fitting light tiles and got away with it.but during a search for a remedy i came across a post which said to carefully cut the inside gyproc and remove it and the honeycomb there is a 35mm stud top and bottom to build a new stud frame puting glue on the framework to stabalise the hall side. and when the hall is getting redecorated again screws can be screwed in from the hall side.probably be a big job but might be helpfull to you.
Thanks for the suggestion scooby I don't think it's an option for this job but I'll keep it in mind for next time
Cheers
Duncan

Q

Qwerty

I'm confused as to how this has made 2 pages!!

That wall is called paramount board. Essentially it is a cardboard waffle sandwiched between two 12.5mm pb sheets. The waffle provides the strength.

My recommendation- do the job properly and remove the bathroom side pb sheet and waffle, build up a 3x2 frame within the wall space (with the CLS on its side) and re sheet with pb or tanking board.

I think Scooby is referring to one of my old posts!!!

Do it once, do it right!

S

scooby9858

That wall is called paramount board. Essentially it is a cardboard waffle sandwiched between two 12.5mm pb sheets. The waffle provides the strength.

My recommendation- do the job properly and remove the bathroom side pb sheet and waffle, build up a 3x2 frame within the wall space (with the CLS on its side) and re sheet with pb or tanking board.

Do it once, do it right!
yes Geoff that rings a bell great bit of info that and i never forget it.

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the process of tiling a bathroom with 600x300 porcelain tiles (24kg square metre) and was planning to use wedi board (well an equivalent) for the plasterboard wall but it turns out the wall isn't a stud/plasterboard wall it's PARAMOUNT BOARD.....

P

pjohn

Do it once, do it right!

This. Just had our bathrooms redone, and found that they also had this "cheap and quick to throw up" material. Our plumber took the top sheet off, got rid of a honeycomb where he ran new battens, screwed them from the outside and put up hardiebacker (room was being tanked in WaterGuard anyway, so cheaper than using wedi board or similar).

Your tiles are already at the limit of skim, and over when you factor in adhesive and grout.

Andyman

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys new hear.

Not a tiler but do do tiling as part of works

I think this used to be called Paramount partition, it was fixed with a 25x38mm head and sole plate with 1 up the wall and then 1 piece between each board.
I used to hate fitting it, Westbury homes used to use it and to this day I think it was a pile of dog do.
The walls would flex in the middle when pushed

Reply to Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks