Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
I'm in the process of tile a bathroom with 600x300 porcelain tiles (24kg square metre) and was planning to use wedi board (well an equivalent) for the plasterboard wall but it turns out the wall isn't a stud/plasterboard wall it's a kind of cardboard waffle/honeycomb construction so there is nothing to screw the wedi board to.
Are there any other options?
Also there are a couple of outside wall where all the plaster has come of leaving a rough (bit flakey) render
I was going to board this as well but would it be safe to tile straight onto the render if it was flat enough.

Thanks for any help received
Duncan
Photos attached

IMG_6983.JPG IMG_6987.JPG IMG_6989.JPG

O

On one

In this circumstance (I would)
Scrape or steam off any remaining old tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and give the walls 2/3 good coats of diluted PVA, patch up any large holes and skim the wall with finish plaster.
And when the plaster is dry, prime with diluted SBR liquid and waterproof the walls to be tiled with a tanking liquid.
Not an ideal scenario regarding kgs/m2 though

OP
D

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
No there is not enough room to do the 50x50/board option
Isn't it pushing it a bit weight wise to put these on plaster and the drying time is a bit of a problem too.
Do I need to go back and recommend lighter tiles?
Yes it is a new bath, fitted by the owner before I go involved

Duncan

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
No there is not enough room to do the 50x50/board option
Isn't it pushing it a bit weight wise to put these on plaster and the drying time is a bit of a problem too.
Do I need to go back and recommend lighter tiles?
Yes it is a new bath, fitted by the owner before I go involved

Duncan

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How about glueing and using toggle style fixings into egg box partition, cement render looks a bit friable. Lighter tiles are probably a good call.

OP
D

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
How about glueing and using toggle style fixings into egg box partition, cement render looks a bit friable. Lighter tiles are probably a good call.

Hi Bond,
What are these toggle style fixing?
Yes the render is a bit s*** too.
I've not messed with it too much but I think it will be ok to plaster over.
All in all 24kg per meter tiles are not a good idea.

He's gone on holiday so I'll have to get in touch and tell him his bathroom won't be all lovely when he returns :-(

O

On one

The thing is......it takes what it takes(timewise)
It might take a bit longer to do it properly, but you have no comebacks on you.

OP
D

Duncan

TF
Reaction score
The thing is......it takes what it takes(timewise)
It might take a bit longer to do it properly, but you have no comebacks on you.
Yes indeed, it's just disappointing not to be able to do what I planned and I feel like I'm letting him down a bit.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Bond,
What are these toggle style fixing?
Yes the render is a bit s*** too.
I've not messed with it too much but I think it will be ok to plaster over.
All in all 24kg per meter tiles are not a good idea.

He's gone on holiday so I'll have to get in touch and tell him his bathroom won't be all lovely when he returns :-(

W

WetSaw

What's the other side of the "cardboard" wall? Could you do anything the other side to be able to mechanically fix the wedi?

Reply to Tiling on a cardboard wall!? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock