Discuss Tiling on 6mm ply floor. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone, a friend has asked me to tile their bathroom floor, it's a very small area around 5m2 I would say, it has chipboard floor boards at the moment which he has screwed down well and he is going to overboard it with 6mm ply screwed down well.
This is what he wants me to tile on, if it yes me I would use hardie board or similar and then anti fracture matting but he just wants to go with the ply.
Is this going to fail, I think it will but just want to get some other opinions then I can show him and he can decide what to do.
Thanks

L

LM

Hi everyone, a friend has asked me to tile their bathroom floor, it's a very small area around 5m2 I would say, it has chipboard floor boards at the moment which he has screwed down well and he is going to overboard it with 6mm ply screwed down well.
This is what he wants me to tile on, if it yes me I would use hardie board or similar and then anti fracture matting but he just wants to go with the ply.
Is this going to fail, I think it will but just want to get some other opinions then I can show him and he can decide what to do.
Thanks
You can’t tile on ply never mind 6mm.
Overboard it properly with a tile backer or insulation board.
What size and type of tiles are you laying?

O

Old Mod

If you tile on 6mm ply, will you go to Jail?
You won’t actually be breaking the Law, but some say you should be!
OH! Sorry “is it going to FAIL?” :seenoevil:
Same answer really. :tearsofjoy:
Over boarding with the correct material would certainly save you from the showers. :thumbsup:

D

Dumbo

6mm Hardie backer glued and screwed , ply will fail , if he still wants you to proceed tell him as he is your friend you won't do it because you don't want to waste his money and this could lead to a problem between you .

Reaction score
He's asking you to tile his floor because you're more skilled than him, but he wants to tell you how to do it ?
Locally to me it would cost £35 for the ply and about £60 for the Hardiebacker. If/when it fails he'll blame you - maybe not to your face - but he'll tell everyone it's your fault.

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Okay so my friend has decided to buy hardie backer to do his bathroom floor so I'll start tiling at the weekend, he's also got some matting. Tiles are 300x600. 12mm notched ok to use?

U

Unused Account 1

Ditra matt ,youve got the flat chipboard flooring,add more screws to secure further ,then ditra

Reaction score
If he's bought the mat it seems daft not to use it.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
From Schlüter website.

As long as the substrate is capable of taking the weight of the tiled surface, Schlüter®-DITRA 25 can be applied directly to any existing timber -- including plywood and chipboard.
And even in older properties with butted planks, small gaps of around two millimetres between the joints can be successfully bridged with membranes such as Schlüter®-DITRA without the need for fillers.

Reply to Tiling on 6mm ply floor. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks