Discuss tiling mosaic on external painted wall - help! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

HI - I'm looking for any advice regarding tiling onto an extenal painted wall. These are glass mosaic tiles (done by kids in school). I've done this before onto external unpainted walls using Keraflex adhesive, which was fine. It was only after making up the mosaics that I realised the walls were painted (new paint). I've been looking on the internet for any advice, but it's all very confusing. Would keying the paint work? Or is there a special sort of adhesive? Or should I go away and rethink the whole thing..
Would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks,
susan

M

mikethetile

you say its new paint, if its sound you can as you say score the paint to help adherance

U

user123

Susan, considering it's for a school perhaps it might be wise not to tile directly onto the wall, but on wediboard which could be fixed to the wall and taken down any time for necessary repairs? Just a thought... do you have any photos? :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Hi, thanks for your replied. The backing? Not sure what that means, but how it's ususally done is tile in reverse onto pape, then grout and cement and leave for a while to dry. It's then in a complete tile that can be cemented onto the wall. Hope that makes sense..? Usually works fine and means the messy stuff can be done at home. My own stupid fault for not checking the walls properly.
Oh well, I suppose it is remove the paint, or use the wedi. I was hoping there may have been some magical adhesive out there that I could use.. :)...
I'll have a word with the school and see if they have a preference.
Thanks again, adn I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try and post photos..
susan x

S

susan

Hi,
thanks for all the advice. I did type something last night, but it hasn't appeared so apologies if this comes up twice! I guess I have a choice between removing the paint or buying the wedi... I suppose I'll see if the school have a preference. Wish I hadn't let the kids do so much now :). Oh well. I'll let youknow what hapens and try to post some pics (remember this was done by early years!)
Thanks again, and your websites are amazing - mosaic girl, I really like what you've done.
Thanks again!
susan

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Mechanicly fix wedi board or schluter kerdi board to wall prior tof ixing of tiles.

S

susan

I'm guessing mechanically fix means screw them on, rather than stick them on. Wedi board it is then. Have ordered some and some keraflex from CTD in Warrington (very helpful!). I've ordered 4mm, as some of the mosaics are small, but not sure I should have gone for the 6mm. I think I'm going to be very busy with a stanley knife this summer..
Thanks again for all the advice,
susan x

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

I'm guessing mechanically fix means screw them on, rather than stick them on. Wedi board it is then. Have ordered some and some keraflex from CTD in Warrington (very helpful!). I've ordered 4mm, as some of the mosaics are small, but not sure I should have gone for the 6mm. I think I'm going to be very busy with a stanley knife this summer..
Thanks again for all the advice,
susan x

Yes,screw them on with fixing screws & washers as supplied by Wedi

Reply to tiling mosaic on external painted wall - help! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks