Discuss tiling large areas setting out help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hardy

I got a travertine job its 180m2 rooms leading of centre loby to the left, right, straight ahead, probably the largest i have had to do best tips for setting out do I set to suit loby and cuts are where they end up in the other rooms?

Cheers

G

Grace'sDad

I would have thought it sensible to put expansion breaks in the doorways.
This also allows you to set out each room individually.
I think from BS you should allow expansion joints every 10m anyways?

H

hardy

What would you use for expansion joint does it look ok they wanted the seamless tiles straight through. Is it a bad idea to tile straight trhough? if so what do you use as a joint in the door ways?

cheers

G

Grace'sDad

Could just use a grout line's width of colour matched silicone - that way it stays hardly noticeable, but lets you break the run up.

B

brundlefly

i wouldnt break it at the door ways unless you have explained to the customer first why you had to,it may fall ok,
best thing i do is spend a 1/2 day setting out, center the main entrance and run a few lines through to the other rooms,dry lay some tiles if you feel you can visualise it better ( i do), see how the cuts fall then explain the solutions, i do put a mastic joint on every door way usualy between 5 & 10mm the customer will want the smaller joint they always do ;), if theres underfloor heating ?...heated screeds i always use, (PCI Pecilastic mat and nanolite)

B

bobbin

Schlüter have various movement and joint profiles in various finishes, check out there site. Not sure what is recommended but anywhere from every 5 metres to 10 metres you need to provide a movement joint. You don't want it cracking, and by the size of it there is every possibility it could, I guess there will also be heavy traffic as it is an office.

Reply to tiling large areas setting out help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks