Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling kitchen - painted surface, help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed previously but I need help with my specific job...

I want to tile in my kitchen between the wall units and the work surface. It's a new build so I'm sure it's plasterboard painted with magnolia emulsion. My tiles are 100x200mm and will be 5 tiles tall.

What would be the best way to go about this as I'm reading conflicting answers elsewhere? I don't want to fix a tile backing over my current wall for decorative reasons and am worried to sand the paint off as I'm assuming the plasterboard was painted directly and not skimmed over, i.e I don't want to end up sanding the paper underneath. It's too hard to remove and replace the current plasterboard as the units are attached through it and there are around five electrical sockets to deal with.

What would you do based on the above?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi.
so they are definitely not skimmed walls ,just drylined and emulsion? , is the paint matt and porous?

Hi, I'm just guessing that they haven't been skimmed however I wouldn't know unless I sanded an area to see. The paint is definitely matt emulsion.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok. Try and see if you can wash the paint off.
Just used a non scratch scouring pad from the sink, it came off quite easy. See pic - that is a skim showing through isn't it?

20200524_165141.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok , no need for primer then. Adhere to the drying times before grouting.
Hi. I'm taking the paint off still however I've had to pull off a stainless steel splashback(?) behind the hob. The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from this has pulled off some of the plaster and some of the paper from the plasterboard. I don't want to replace the whole section so would it be ok to prime these bits with PVA or should I cut out the paper down to the plasterboard mortar and then prime?

I could ignore as the majority of the tile will be fixed to the plaster.

20200602_152611.jpg

20200602_152618.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi. I'm taking the paint off still however I've had to pull off a stainless steel splashback(?) behind the hob. The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from this has pulled off some of the plaster and some of the paper from the plasterboard. I don't want to replace the whole section so would it be ok to prime these bits with PVA or should I cut out the paper down to the plasterboard mortar and then prime?

I could ignore as the majority of the tile will be fixed to the plaster.

View attachment 112649

View attachment 112650

don’t prime with pva , sbr or acrylic with suffice and use a patch up plaster and leave to dry

Reply to Tiling kitchen - painted surface, help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock