How's My Tiling? Tiling green plaster board

Discuss Tiling green plaster board in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

A

amh

-
What member type are you?
Homeowner
Hi could someone help me, I have a bath panel made of green board which was primed before applying tiles but the tiles just popped off. Why is this?

S

Steve6690

TF
Supporter
Reactions
61 2
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
What primer was used, was it diluted, and which adhesive? How was the panel constructed?

A

amh

-
Homeowner
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The panel was loose up against the bath as it was going to be screwed in later and be used as an access panel. primer was a ready mixed one and so was the adhesive.

S

Steve6690

TF
Supporter
Reactions
61 2
Did the primer peel away from the board?

S

Steve6690

TF
Supporter
Reactions
61 2
If the tiles have come away clean it could be something as simple as dust/dirt on the back of the tile causing the adhesive to not bond with it.

J K Tiling Cornwall

J K Tiling Cornwall

TF
Arms
Reactions
I'm guessing green chipboard or MDF? Even if secured by using a ready mixed adhesive it will not last long. If not fixed then more likely too much flex for the tiles to adhere to. Do you know what type of board it is? Cheers

Albert

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,460 24
I'm guessing green chipboard or MDF? Even if secured by using a ready mixed adhesive it will not last long. If not fixed then more likely too much flex for the tiles to adhere to. Do you know what type of board it is? Cheers
The title says plasterboard

A

amh

-
Homeowner
I did say plasterboard but i got it wrong it was actually green board. Im sorry don't know any more than that. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

E

eddcottee

-
Reactions
Wedi sell ready made bath panels which you can tile onto. You may be best looking for one of those if looking to replace what you were trying to do originally.

Also, I assume when you mention a ready mixed adhesive, you are referring to what you stuck the tiles on the "green board" with? If so, that's no good and a powder adhesive will be what you need.

Also I would fit the panel first and then tile it, unless others on here suggest different?

Cheers

Edd

Dave

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
2,159 1
If its been primed , then the dispersion adhesive doesnt have any surface capillaries to adhere too or porous background to disperse.. what is the tile type ?

A

amh

-
Homeowner
If its been primed , then the dispersion adhesive doesnt have any surface capillaries to adhere too or porous background to disperse.. what is the tile type ?
Wedi sell ready made bath panels which you can tile onto. You may be best looking for one of those if looking to replace what you were trying to do originally.

Also, I assume when you mention a ready mixed adhesive, you are referring to what you stuck the tiles on the "green board" with? If so, that's no good and a powder adhesive will be what you need.

Also I would fit the panel first and then tile it, unless others on here suggest different?

Cheers

Edd
Hi add thanks next time i think i will buy a ready made bath panel for tiling this time we replaced it with marine ply, but now although the tiles have stuck the grout has cracked. Is this because the tiles have moved?

Reply to Tiling green plaster board in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.