Discuss Tiling for shower around bath with currently has 5 rows of tiles in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

I am just about to install a shower but need to extend the current tiles to the ceiling (currently has 4 rows) around two end walls and the bath.

I am concerned if I remove the current tiles I will damage the plaster board walls. So my 'plan' is the tile over the existing tiles. The obviously issue is they will double up the first 5 rows and will then step down to a single tile to the ceiling. So I tjought I could 'fill' this area with something such as thin wood 4mm and then tile over this !

My question is please ... is this the right way to go and if some what would be a suitable wood and does it need to be treated with something is if so what ?

I have never tiled such as area.

Would appreciate any advice or comments please

Thank you for your time

Regards

Tiggy

Attachments

• BR1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
  • RB2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210920_064747.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Hi Tiggy

My advise would be to do it properly which is to remove the tiles and replace the plasterboard with a tiling board. If you intend do go with your suggestion don't use wood, use a 4 or 6mm tiling board and glue and mechanically fix to the studs.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi all

I am just about to install a shower but need to extend the current tiles to the ceiling (currently has 4 rows) around two end walls and the bath.

I am concerned if I remove the current tiles I will damage the plaster board walls. So my 'plan' is the tile over the existing tiles. The obviously issue is they will double up the first 5 rows and will then step down to a single tile to the ceiling. So I tjought I could 'fill' this area with something such as thin wood 4mm and then tile over this !

My question is please ... is this the right way to go and if some what would be a suitable wood and does it need to be treated with something is if so what ?

I have never tiled such as area.

Would appreciate any advice or comments please

Thank you for your time

Regards

Tiggy
No it's very wrong !! Sometimes you have to spend a little more ! How about just tiling top half in a feature tile or contrasting colour ! So it looks like it was meant ??

Reply to Tiling for shower around bath with currently has 5 rows of tiles in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks