Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Concrete guy

It's not great to be honest, but it's serviceable and fit for purpose.

Whilst it could look better, legally there's probably not a great deal you can do about it. As all the law will look at is if the install has been done and is fit for purpose.

It's unfortunate that a contrasting grout has been chosen as this highlights the problem further.

If it bothers you that much I'd be inclined to fit a small cove or similar to the ceiling to disguise the problem.

H

hmtiling

Thanks for your honesty, is it law to start with a full tile as they have stated?
British standards aren't regulations but guidelines. It is in those guidelines to waterproof wet areas though and I'd wager they haven't. Throw that back at them. The threat of posting all over social media usually works with big firms too. Good luck

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
British standards aren't regulations but guidelines. It is in those guidelines to waterproof wet areas though and I'd wager they haven't. Throw that back at them. The threat of posting all over social media usually works with big firms too. Good luck
Thanks, I was tempted to post on social media but was worried it may harm my case :)

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately setting out issue...Not really much can be done other than add a small cove detail
Or remove top course and slither/ introduce a listello border then larger cut... or .... rip out and start again
The darker grout does emphasise it
Have definitely seen worse

D

Dumbo

As @hmtiling
Said ask them if they have waterproofed the walls before tiling as that is in British standards also as @Boggs
Said I have tiled an awful lot of bathrooms where I haven't tiled a whole tile of the bath , and yes do not get confused as to what british standards are they are a code of good practice and not even building regs .

D

Dumbo

And yes they should of siliconed the corner where the tiles meet also have they siliconed next to the bath

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
And yes they should of siliconed the corner where the tiles meet also have they siliconed next to the bath
They have white siliconed the tile/ bath join however it seems to be peeling away a little. There is translucent silicone in the corners however one side seems to be yellowing?

D

Dumbo

They have white siliconed the tile/ bath join however it seems to be peeling away a little. There is translucent silicone in the corners however one side seems to be yellowing?
It's no good siliconing over grout in the corners, this joint is meant to be free of grout and adhesive, this is a movement joint , British standards therefore they should know this (hint of sarcasm ) . I would of done that in a colour match silicone but that would be more expensive that generic cheapo silicone .

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
It's no good siliconing over grout in the corners, this joint is meant to be free of grout and adhesive, this is a movement joint , British standards therefore they should know this (hint of sarcasm ) . I would of done that in a colour match silicone but that would be more expensive that generic cheapo silicone .
Cheers this for the info this is a great help!

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks