Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO BS 5385-1 WALL AND FLOOR tile

tile Standards | BS 5385​

As part of the five-year review of British Standards and reflecting changes within the tile industry since 2009 – BS 5385 Part 1: 2018 has now been published. One significant change made was to exclude the use of plywood as a background material for the direct fixing of ceramic wall and natural stone tiles.

Tiling Standards

Clause 6.1.2.7 Other sheets and boards (see also 6.2.3.3) now states:
“The use of sheets or boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content should be avoided. Plywood and other wood-based sheets or boards should not be used for direct tile”.

A significant uplift in the use of tile backer boards and a wide variation in quality of plywood available on the market has provided a solid case for the removal of plywood from the standards.

David Wilson, UK Head of Technical Services a member of the TTA Technical Committee said: “Previously it was recognised in BS5385 Part 1: 2009 that tile direct to plywood was possible, providing this was restricted to small areas and be “installed in such a way that they provide a [dimensional] stable and rigid background” the quality of plywood for tile purposes has decreased significantly with cheaper imports flooding the market.

“While higher quality external grade plywood is still available – it is significantly more expensive.

“It is important to consider though that that wood is a hygroscopic material which means that its moisture content will change dependent upon any changes in the environmental conditions on site. Therefore, dimensional stability of wood-based boards cannot be assured there is always a risk to installing ceramic or natural stone tiles onto plywood or other wood-based sheets,
Another technical consideration for wall tile is weight restrictions. Just as a side note at this point, if you don't have a clue what any of this is, then consider a tiling course, and research it well before paying any money. Plywood is deemed to have a maximum weight of tile per m² of 30 kg compared to proprietary tile backing boards which generally are capable of supporting heavier weights per m² of tile (As per table 3 of BS 5385-1: 2018).

British Wall and Floor tile Standards BS5385-1​

“A competitive tile backing board market means that prices are more attractive to tile fixers and contractors. This combined with the additional features and benefits of providing background for tile which are dimensional stable and resistant to moisture and thermal movement. “

However, while plywood is not recommended as a background for direct wall tile, it can still be used as a structural board when overlaid with a suitable tile backing board, particularly where installation of mechanical fixings is required e.g. for mesh backed natural stone where it is not possible to remove 75% or of the mesh backing.

Other changes to BS standards.

Previously in internal dry wall areas it was recommended that tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should cover a minimum of 50% coverage spread evenly over the back of the tile. However, driven by necessity, with the increase in the size and types of tiles i.e. larger formats and thin ceramic panels, now available of the market, BS 5385-1: 2018 advises: “Tiles with a surface area of less than 0.1 m², but which weigh more per square meter than 70% of the background’s capacity to carry the weight, should be solidly bedded e.g. the maximum weight of tile that can be supported by Gypsum plaster = 20 kg; whereas 9 mm thick porcelain tiles, which weigh approximately 18 kg/m², weigh more than 70% of 20 kg (14 kg) therefore, they should be solidly bedded regardless of their size”

British tile Standards included within the scope of BS 5385-1: 2018 are large format ceramic tiles, ceramic panels i.e. tiles with a surface area >1m² (any edge length >1200 mm) and thin tiles

i.e. ceramic tiles and panels with a panel thickness of ≤ 5.5 mm. To reflect this, additional changes have also been made in the minimum recommended grout joint width, dependent on the tile/panel size, e.g. the minimum grout widths vary by tile facial area – an example as follows:
  • For tiles with a facial area of less than 0.1m² with no side > 600mm long, a minimum joint width of 2mm is required.
  • Tiles with a facial area 0.1m² to 1m² with no side>1200mm long, a minimum joint width of 3 mm is required.
And
  • Joints between ceramic panels should be increased pro-rata to panel size (e.g. for a 3m long ceramic panels the minimum required joint width between these panels is 5mm.
Not included in the scope of BS 5385-1: 2018 are:
  • Natural Stone Slabs i.e. stone which is more than 12mm thick,
  • Agglomerate stone,
  • Metal, plastic resin, mirror or glass tiles of a similar construction
Note from Admin: We have collated most of the threads regarding tile standards. Having one thread on the subject should help those out seeking advice regarding British Standards in Wall and Floor tile BS 5385

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Setting out is all to ****. Most good tilers would plan it so no small slithers are evident. Occasionally this cannot be avoided if you have large areas with lots of undulating levels to take into account. However, i haven't had a job in the last 2 decades where i had small slithers like this. Personally i would have gone 30% cuts on the bath and this would have resulted in an acceptable, but not perfect solution. I get many baths that are not straight anyway, and have to cut the row above bath to suit.
BTW, i used to tile for fitters from wickes and always the standard is awful. Also no decent tiler would work for the rates that wickes allow for. When i was doing kitchens, they allowed £25-£30 per metre on 4 metre splashes!
How can we as tilers do a quality job on those rates? Unless of course i am ridiculously slow.....

(A big hi to all the tilers on this forum!)
Best wishes
James

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

IMG_0398.JPG

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

View attachment 109078
Looks great! Unfortunately they are now playing silly buggers for the amount they will refund. Just out of interest, how much would you charge for removal of 6sqm of tiles and installing new ones?

OP
W

WetSaw

Don't forget that removing the tiles may ( probably will..) damage the substrate so that will need putting right before tile.

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
Prices are not discussed in open forum, but if you Pm a member from your local area they may be able to help.
Sorry about discussing prices on open forum. Doesn’t seem to be any members in my local area and how do you pm a member? Do you click on their profile and click “start a conversation”? There is a conversation on the open forum about prices, would it be ok to do it there or is it a no no :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
tile Standards - British tile Standards Download and Information

British Standard in Wall and Floor tile

British Standards in Wall and Floor tile BS 5385

Register at TilersForums.com for free to obtain the British Standards in Wall and Floor tile BS 5385. That's both:-
  • British Standards 5385-1: 2018
  • BS 5385-2:2015
  • BS 5385-1: design and installation of ceramic, natural stone, and mosaic wall tile in normal internal conditions.
  • BS 5385-5: design and installation of terrazzo, natural stone, and agglomerated stone tile and slab flooring.

If you require help with your wall or floor tile then the British Standards in Wall and Floor tile BS 5385 (its BS name and number) can help, whether it's a tile contractor who you think has carried out inferior tile work, or whether it's a national tile outlet, or even a local tile shop that's supplied tiles you think are not up to the British standard, then please register to the forum for free and post a new support thread of your own. Tell us as much about the situation as possible. Include as many pictures as you can. Let us know what stage the job is at. And we will do all we can to help you.

We have helped thousands of homeowners and contractors in similar situations and would be more than happy to help rectify the tile work.

Some search terms related to British tile standards:-
  • Wall tile Standards
  • Floor tile Standard
  • Kitchen tile Standard
  • Bathroom tile Standard

Last edited:

aytiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think you're being over critical, you chose the worst grout possible for those tiles, and it's shown up in the ceiling. I've seen worse.

Are there other walls done, around a window maybe, to see what cut would have bee left on the head/sill?

That sliver (I wouldn't even call it that, I've done smaller cuts) wouldn't have looked so bad if the ceiling was level.

Simple solution, take light fitting down, over board, skim, paint, refit light. Kill 2 birds with one stone, small cut disappears and you won't notice the cocked up ceiling.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i dont think its a must to start with full tile if you have done your calculation as an installer they should have raised the first tile to a certain height so that they will cut small out of the last tile on top the cutting one will not be visible then the off cut will finally transfer to the base to avoid this kind of situation.
[automerge]1571143463[/automerge]
if your wall is not plum you can centralize your work by mark out the center of your wall make it your start point so that you can transfer your off cut to the corner of the wall,
if you wall is not flat why not ask the client to pay for re-plastering or re- rendering of the wall.

Last edited:
OP
U

Unused Account 1

They just went full tile ,could of set out differently,ive dropped a few ceilings when they were so far out

Reaction score
Any good tiler would check the bath for level before even fixing a full tile off it in the first place! Make a gauge rod with tiles and joint (cant go wrong) mark a datum then using gauge rod to see if acceptable cut to ceiling at all points if not centre the wall vertically or centre centre tile to give best cuts. obviously too late now as tiler has tiled the room. Best easiest option is to maybe add another skin or 2 of plaster board to ceiling to eliminate the small cuts, or coving as someone suggested although not a conventional finish in a bathroom.

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Just an update. After almost 2 years there is still a dispute but we managed to get some tiles off this week....
Pretty sure this show dot and dab...

Attachments

• 20200215_122253.jpg
    20200215_122253.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200215_122248.jpg
    20200215_122248.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200215_122310.jpg
    20200215_122310.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Just an update to say we won our case in full against this builder and the judge found the tile to be below standard and awarded us all our money back.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock