Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling disaster help in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Could I have some help and recommendations on how I should proceed in fixing these issues done by a so called professional tiler that has since ran away with half of the payment and I can no longer contact him.

I supplied the tiles & tile trim, leaving him to use his choice of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout. Walls are all new, as this is a new build house, and I fitted in the shower tray and waterproofed the shower area. All he needed to do was tile.

Problems (photos probably speak for themselves):
  • Tiles are not level (some were extremely bad and he has smashed these off and damaged the plasterboard)
  • Tile spacing is bad
  • Gaps between the tile trim and the tile is bad
  • Tile trim cut too short (I supplied more trim than required for the job, so there's plenty of trim left that he could have used)

I'm really not sure what I should/can do right now and it has been left unusable.

IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8568.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG

IMG_8566.JPG

IMG_8565.JPG

4D94B79B-B531-4C93-A78D-83E06371762A.JPG

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
:eek: o_O
What ever this bloke was he was not a tiler. as tony said its a rip out and start again.
Cant believe anyone would do work to this standard. I would hunt him down so keep trying people like this should be named and shamed to stop them doing this to people

D

Deleted member 54066

Why the hell did you give him any money before he had finished? Do you pay for your car service half way through? A good Tradesman will never ask for cash up front.
Remove it all and start again

OP
J

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll be removing the tiles myself this weekend - one heck of a lesson learnt! Him not finishing the job I can force myself to accept, but doing a terrible job that needs taking down and redoing is the worse part... Not sure if I'm allowed to name and shame on here (I would if it's allowed)

I don't normally pay any tradesman upfront or halfway through the job, but on this occasion, he continuously asked for payment, as he said that he's had financial troubles to pay for some of the materials upfront, so I agreed. Never again...

P

Perfect Tiling

Oh my....what a mess. No wonder he's had financial troubles...people probably won't pay for what he's done....he should be paying them as its more work to rectify. Any good tradesman should have a portfolio of work they can show you and even customers who can vouch for you. As its been said.....it all needs replacing. If he ripped off a couple of tiles because they weren't right....what state were they in if he left the others on the wall.

finlay

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Very sorry for you but it’s as bad as it gets definitely not a tiler , be very careful who you use next time , good look

OP
J

JLammy

-
Reaction score
He did have a few 5* reviews from other customers - I'm now questioning whether they're actually customers! He showed me his work in so called hotels, that's why I chose him.

I started taking off a few tiles today. Is there a reason for the plasterboard feeling damp/wet, to the extent that the paper is coming off?

D

Deleted member 54066

You saying he has tiled over wall paper?
A lot of these reviews on sites are false and most site don't let customers put bad reviews up. Thought everyone knew that!

P

Perfect Tiling

I think he means the paper face of the plasterboard coming off.

Your best bet would be to remove the whole lot.....if the paper face is coming off and you've got holes then you won't be able to tank it properly.....best to start again.

OP
J

JLammy

-
Reaction score
Yep, I was referring to the paper face of the plasterboard. I'm just gutted that I have to redo everything again now, as I spent a lot of time and effort in putting up new plasterboard, fitting in the shower tray, tanking it, all done myself... just for this guy to mess it up completely. Should have just attempted to tile it myself instead!

Here's a photo of it prior to him tile it.

IMG_8551.JPG

P

Perfect Tiling

Yep....looks spot on....all ready for a decent tiler to come in and do a grand job for you!!!!
You could and probably would have done a much better job of it.
If your'e going to reboard it....I usually leave any shower recesses until I start tile....this way I can avoid any fragile or unbalanced cuts. I try to get it so the bottom of the recess is on the top of a tile and the top of the recess is on the bottom of a tile.....you have a full tile both top and bottom so no L shaded tiles.

Reply to Tiling disaster help in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock