Discuss tiling directly onto damp proof membrane in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi guys, i have some damp-proof membrane installed in my bathroom floor(Capital Valley Plastics Ltd Damp-Proof Membrane Black 1000ga 15 x 4m - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-membrane-black-1000ga-15-x-4m/22842).
Is it possible to tile directly onto this?

Reaction score
The product you have used there would normally be laid under the screed, so no I would not tile straight on to that. Why have you put it down in the first place? Take it you had rising damp though the screed?

Reaction score
hi, thanks for getting back, actually i wanted to waterproof the area under my bath and had some of this membrane going spare and i just extended it to the rest of the bathroom.....

Reaction score
Well if you want to waterproof the area you are best of tanking it that way you will have no problems tiling over that. Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

Reaction score
Hi
The Damp Proof Membrane is used in the construction of the house.
It is placed on top of the hardcore which would have had a layer of building sand on top before placing the plastic then your 4"celotex insulation another thinner plastic membrane over it an your concrete slab on top. Different designs and spec may alter ie under floor heating but the Damp Proof Membrane is used to stop rising damp same as 4" DPC used in construction of walls .
Go for the tanking method .

Reply to tiling directly onto damp proof membrane in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks