Discuss Tiling Courses Hope this helps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

grumpygrouter

grumpygrouter,

You have hit the nail right on the head on one of the factors I mentioned for people's failure in the industry....

It's good to see a sensible response on here on an issue thats been flying around for a while now :)

Best Regards,
Chase Tiling Academy

My Pleasure.

Grumpy

V

versatilene

In such a pro training centre forum it's probably heresy to say this but I think the training centres should question the volume of what they are doing, especially the short quick courses How many other trades turn out from training 20+ people per week, every week (and thats only one training centre in one geographical area) Yes it's competitive and business, but not good business, It can't be in the interest of tilers and tiling to go on over producing 'tradesmen'

And yes I have a vested interest as I tile and was trained this way, but from a long history as a cabinet maker and woodwork instructor requireing similar precision skills which were tranferable.

G

grumpygrouter

In such a pro training centre forum it's probably heresy to say this but I think the training centres should question the volume of what they are doing, especially the short quick courses How many other trades turn out from training 20+ people per week, every week (and thats only one training centre in one geographical area) Yes it's competitive and business, but not good business, It can't be in the interest of tilers and tiling to go on over producing 'tradesmen'

And yes I have a vested interest as I tile and was trained this way, but from a long history as a cabinet maker and woodwork instructor requireing similar precision skills which were tranferable.
I think you have a very good point, but it must also be remebered that the fast track training establishments are NOT created to "produce tilers" for the industry. They are in fact businesses in their own right and make money by "training tilers". Whether the industry as a whole can sustain such throughput is a different matter altogether.

These schools pay their mortgaes by training people. when the tiling industry becomes saturated, poor training schools, like poor tilers/business people, will fall by the wayside, leaving, as mentioned before, the strong to carry on.

Grumpy

V

versatilene

'The end justifies the mean' now where have I heard that before? Dress it up how you will, taking someones savings (or Loans) and selling them something you know they have little hope of using because there is a glut of them has to be just a little immoral. Yes we're all adults and can make our own decisions but I couldn't sleep well knowing I'd cashed in on peoples dreams.

G

grumpygrouter

Would you suggest that these tiling schools tell people that they should go on some sort of business training course first before they consider taking up a different type income generating stream? Just to see if they have the nounce to go in to business?

Not really practicle, I don't think. Nobody pushes these potential trainees through the doors of these schools, neither do I think the schools are cashing in on peoples dreams. They are providing a service for which there is a demand, proven by your statement about "pushing out 20+ per week".

It is nothing more than a stark fact of business life, some make it, some don't! I was not fully aware of what I was getting into until the training I did informed me! I made a decision to carry on with my adventure, like most people do. If I feel it is not working then I will do something else but I certainly won't hold other businesses reponsible for my failings should I do so.

If you feel you have been mis-led in some way regarding your training, take it up with the people that trained you. I certainly don't every recall getting a "hard sell" to join the course that I did, quite the opposite in fact, as I recall being told a few times that "tiling isn't for everyone".

Grumpy

P

Pauly

Some interesting points boys, not only isn't tiling for everyone neither is running your own business in tiling or other trades. I've been self employed for 30+ years and I remember many occasions actually envying anyone with a 9-5 job that they could leave at 5 and forget all about work. With your own business you can't do that as some of us know too well.
When you are young and starting a family etc it is sods law that that is the time you need to be earning the most and that is when you have to spend most of your time working instead of enjoying family life.
Loads of negatives - chasing money - awkward customers - sharks (aka would be property developers) who do their utmost to nitpick so as to fleece you.
And people still think you are loaded "Got his own business - must be!"

God I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!!!

V

versatilene

Let's not make this personal, Just promoting healthy debate that's all, being the devil's advocate, isn't that what the sites for? I don't think Iv'e been fleeced, I got exactly what I researched and signed up for. Iv'e been self employed for 22 years in three different areas of work, know the problems and still going at it.

P

postie

Interesting post and comments ,i did my training at Nett first class i must say and the buisness side of the course was a real eye opener . I have now made the first steps into self employment - cards- van- tools-advertising- although i have done some plastering work on the side and i must admit it it all looks dauting and you do doubt yourself at times, but once i get a few tiling jobs under my belt i am sure that feeling will subside it is definitely a confidence thing but one i am prepared to have a go at you only live once so sod it no good wondering what if .

P

Proper Job

Well i have enrolled today at south birmingham college and it seems to be the business it covers more than i expected. I got it for free so i have saved myself £1400. I will give a report in the future how it compares to the fast track route.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
The tiling skills is only a small part of being self employed and making money, all the bits of qualified papers are a waste of time as well if your talking about making money. You turn up at a job and show him you qualifications, do a crap job and you will be finished the same day.
you could be a fantastic tiler but if you have crap people skills and business skills you will not be successfull in making any money, if you are taught by someone who has been employed all his life then what can they teach you about making money as he will have no experience of how to actually make it, as he will have relyed on someone else paying his wages. Focus on finding the proper training to learn how to do the job and make your way in the world.
You have to be switched on and know how to befriend the right contacts and use your marketing skills wisely.
Think business all the way
Read my post about Key To Success and this will make sense
Grumpys comments are spot on

Reply to Tiling Courses Hope this helps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks