Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling around windows without trim challenge in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone, this is my first post, although I've been gleaning advice for some time - thanks :thumbsup:
I'm not a pro tiler, but have done a fair bit of tile for myself over the past couple of years with good results. In the next couple of months I'll be renovating the bathroom in our new house, including tile the whole room.
I am hoping that one of you pros might be able to give me some advice on tile around the window? I know about the edging trim and have used it successfully in the past. In my view it's quick, clean and looks good. However Mrs613 isn't very keen on it. She says it's plastic, cheap and nasty looking and should be reserved for public toilets... Mrs613 doesn't hang back when she doesn't like something :mad2:
As we know, the customer is always right...
So, I'm looking for a good way of tile around the window without using trim. Does anyone have any suggestions?!
Mrs613 (who is not originally from these shores) claims that a popular technique in her homeland is to mitre the cuts around the outside corners, similar to the outside cuts of eg skirting board - or that's how I understand it anyway. Does anyone know if this is possible? I guess it would have to be done with an electric cutter, although Mrs613 was talking about filing the mitre angle?!!??! If it is possible, would it work with a ceramic tile - I can imagine it with natural stone, but don't see it working with ceramic?
I suggested plasterboarding over the window, but that didn't go down well :lol:
Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. As I'm effectively self taught, perhaps there is something obvious that I simply don't know about??
Thanks in advance
K613

OP
D

dagger

if mrs does not want trim you have to mitre,
and if you are doing it yourself with no time constraints the two "jollys" aka "mitres" can be greater than 45 degrees so cut the tiles without touching the glazed edge then rub the angle greater than 45 without touching the glaze.

it depends on what material you are working with how long it takes but it will work in the end!

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

WITH
window2.jpg

window3.jpg

WITHOUT
window.jpg

window4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

doug boardley

to be fair Richard, the one without trims doesn't do justice 'cos ot the slithers and brick bond:smilewinkgrin:

OP
D

dagger

to be fair Richard, the one without trims doesn't do justice 'cos ot the slithers and brick bond:smilewinkgrin:
the window has not been centred correctly, granted.
and the bottom pick shows a joint that should no be there at the top but hey its mitred well!

but the photo shows the effect!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::8:

OP
D

dagger

a mitre:

mitre.jpg

look at the external.

finished mitre:

finisheda.jpg

OP
H

hillhead

The mitred cuts are a hell of a lot slower,do look great when well done.
I have done a few mitred and a couple for sure i underpriced.

OP
D

dagger

The mitred cuts are a hell of a lot slower,do look great when well done.
I have done a few mitred and a couple for sure i underpriced.

Evryone underprices a mitre, to get it right takes skill or TIME!

nothing more!

OP
D

doug boardley

this is a square edge trim that i changesd from a mitre, worked well in this instance imo

OP
D

doug boardley

the nibs on this bathroom were mitred, each looks well, but on the bath one< I had concerns about the safety aspect of it ( that's why I changed to a soft square mitre)

OP
K

K613

Thank you again everybody. This is all really useful and especially having seen the photos I am convinced that (as usual) Mrs613 was right and our trim days are behind us!
Presumably a lot of customers settle for the trim because they either don't know that something better exists or they don't want the extra cost (time) of mitring? Perhaps both?

I think I get the principle, so I will experiment with some scraps and see how it goes, but you have all given me a lot of confidence now, to know that it's possible and how good it can look.

All the best guys and thanks again :thumbsup:
K613

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Have any of you tried mitring on the Plasplugs MasterTiler Wet Cutter? Just wondering as you have to mitre with the tiles face down on this cutter (don't know if that's different to more expensive cutters, but i imagine it is...), and that's gotta scratch them to hell surely!?!?!

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if mrs does not want trim you have to mitre,
and if you are doing it yourself with no time constraints the two "jollys" aka "mitres" can be greater than 45 degrees so cut the tiles without touching the glazed edge then rub the angle greater than 45 without touching the glaze.

it depends on what material you are working with how long it takes but it will work in the end!
you must be an old guy dagger, i seem to remember when tiles used to come with mitred edges the boxes were marked "jolly" is that right ?? :thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling around windows without trim challenge in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock