Discuss Tiling around doorways in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Cabnero

Hi guys. I was just winding what you do when tiling around a doorway. Do you tile up to the architrave leaving a 2mm grout line, (or whatever, 3mm 5mm). Or do you tile then get a chippy to rebate the architrave if that's possible. Has anyone done any funky jobs where architrave wasn't used? I'm only asking because evert ime I'm in my shower I see the doorway the tiler screwed up and how I'm going to sort it one day.

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It would usually be tiled to the facing with a 2mm gap and then siliconed to match the grout. You can also do away with the facing and use a tile trim instead but thats not my preferred option.

T

Time's Ran Out

That's it always blame the tiler! Show us a picture of how it looks from inside your shower - clothes on please - and get some considered opinions.
As for me, cut tight to architrave, grout in and let the painter get over the gap with decorators chaulk.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
oscillatingtools-doorjamb.jpg

and the tile slides underneath.

W

WetSaw

You can remove the architrave, tile to a point inside where the architrave will cover then either use a strip of batton on the frame the same depth as the tile to pack it out or if there's not much difference you can sometimes just put the architrave back on with a slight angle.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always use my multi-tool to take the bottom off the archi and slide the tile underneath, I think it looks far neater with a straight cut and no silicone around it.

C

Cabnero

Thanks guys for your responses. Timeless John I'll try to get a photo uploaded once I figure out how to do it. PDC, I see what you're saying but if you do that don't you have a gap at the other side of the architrave next to the door so it may as well be rebated? Unless I've misunderstood you. Would a tile trim work practically once you have hinges on etc. Thanks

C

Cabnero

Here is a photo of the doorway. It's a bit awkward to get a decent picture as it's a small bathroom and I have to stand in the shower. Hopefully you'll get the idea. To me it looks like he never took any time over the cuts.

1469469572306272990355.jpg 1469469925450-1266854210.jpg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
photo43.jpg
Same as Sean didn't realise you meant all the way around the doorway wall. I would leave a 2mm gap and then silicone in complimentary colour.

C

Cabnero

Ok guys thanks. So 2mm gap then silicone. Is the silicone bead 2mm also or slightly thicker. I have silicone tools but the smallest bread would be 5mm.

W

WetSaw

It doesn't look to me like you have enough of an edge to get a decent bead of silicone. I'd take off that architrave, pin some wood the same thickness as the tiles to bring the frame level with the tiles then fit new,wider,architrave to cover the edge of the tiles. Quick rub down, lick of paint, job done.

Reply to Tiling around doorways in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks