Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling apprenticeship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Time's Ran Out

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I was on £27.00 a week when I started...
(TJ was on 5 shillings)...:)

Always been self employed even as an apprentice!
Started on 61p an hour and after 18 months I was on £1.30 a yard.
At that time painters were on minimum of £100 per week.
My rent was £6/week.
My Dad was disappointed when I went into tile but when he retired at 59 he came with me for 3 years and absolutely loved it - best tea boy there ever was!
It’s not all about the immediate gain but it has to be a decent days pay for a decent days work.
My son was on £200 a week when he started with me @ 16 - if he can’t earn you £40 a day and make your job easier then it’s not worth the hassle.
IMHO.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
£150 a week for a 16/17 year old is good enough,18/19 £250 ish, out of time £350/400 a week, pay them too much and they just want more and get greedy.
They earn you basically nowt for a year or two

OP
K

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies so far, I’ve looked online and some sites say a tiler working for a company might get £12 -£13 an hr which similar to a joiner employed ,he wants to know if £200 a day is achievable or more than if your qualified and and at the top of your trade, if so I’m assuming it’s a self employed tiler?

W

Waluigi

Always been self employed even as an apprentice!
Started on 61p an hour and after 18 months I was on £1.30 a yard.
At that time painters were on minimum of £100 per week.
My rent was £6/week.
My Dad was disappointed when I went into tile but when he retired at 59 he came with me for 3 years and absolutely loved it - best tea boy there ever was!
It’s not all about the immediate gain but it has to be a decent days pay for a decent days work.
My son was on £200 a week when he started with me @ 16 - if he can’t earn you £40 a day and make your job easier then it’s not worth the hassle.
IMHO.

That’s spooky- my Dad started working with me after he took voluntary redundancy at 55 and my son occasionally works for me. I pay him £40 and he’s 16. Upped his day rate by a tenner recently.

W

Waluigi

Thanks for your replies so far, I’ve looked online and some sites say a tiler working for a company might get £12 -£13 an hr which similar to a joiner employed ,he wants to know if £200 a day is achievable or more than if your qualified and and at the top of your trade, if so I’m assuming it’s a self employed tiler?

There are huge differences around the country. For a Tiler at the top of his game where I live, £200 would be a kick in the teeth.

It’s not about qualifications either. Not with tile. tile is skill based.

OP
K

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
That’s good to hear that more is achievable based on your skill level and as you say,your charging for the quality & knowledge you provide and if £200 a day is a kick in the teeth he will be happy to know that, it will give him the desire to succeed after all it’s all about the money when you start out in order to get what you need but as mentioned before it’s not always about the money appreciate you thoughts

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My £27.00 a week was rubbish compared my mates, that were labouring on the sites earning over £100 a week.
Difference is most of them are still in dead end jobs, I've paid off my mortgage, and earn enough to have the odd Friday off....:rolleyes:

Reply to Tiling apprenticeship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock