Discuss Tiling an Attic conversion in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

IvanP

TF
Reaction score
We want to tile the entire attic conversion with a 600 by 600 8mm Porcelain 8mm tile. The Attic is on 6 inch rafters and the largest floor is 4370 by 4775. Some tilers I've talked to have expressed doubts about tiling an attic like this, they say it will be impossible to do without continual problems due to movement, even with backing boards. Does anybody have any advice or any similar experience?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
How far apart are the rafters? And is there deflection (bounce) in the floor already?

Can you not add proper joists to the supporting walls below? Is the floor covered already or something?

IvanP

TF
Reaction score
How far apart are the rafters? And is there deflection (bounce) in the floor already?

Can you not add proper joists to the supporting walls below? Is the floor covered already or something?

Hi Dan,

The joists are 400 apart and the floor is already covered in Chipboard. I'm just worried about movement after. When you ask about adding proper joists, what do you mean?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, can you not pull up the chipboard and stick 12" joists onto the load bearing walls below? Next to the existing joists?

Effectively making a new solid suspended floor throughout. Is their enough height to do that?

I'm not a tiler by the way so wait for somebody who's done this before to reply.

But that floor doesn't sound solid enough.

Have you called Mapei Adhesive technical help line to see what they recommend in your situation?
Have you got a floorplan you can upload to the forum? How many rooms are there to take into account?

IvanP

TF
Reaction score
Well, can you not pull up the chipboard and stick 12" joists onto the load bearing walls below? Next to the existing joists?

Effectively making a new solid suspended floor throughout. Is their enough height to do that?

I'm not a tiler by the way so wait for somebody who's done this before to reply.

But that floor doesn't sound solid enough.

Have you called Mapei Adhesive technical help line to see what they recommend in your situation?
Have you got a floorplan you can upload to the forum? How many rooms are there to take into account?
Thanks for the clarification Dan. It is something I could check, I think there is enough Height to allow it. I've attached the floor plan of the whole space. I'll try the technical helpline you suggested, thanks!

Attachments

• Attic floor plan landscape.pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 12
D

Dumbo

Have you had an architect involved in this.
It may pay to spend a few quid and get a structural engineer to survey it and follow his recommendations on joist build up and loadings ,obviously telling him you intend to tile, not for his tiling recomedations but so he knows what extra weight you are putting in

Reply to Tiling an Attic conversion in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks