Discuss Tiling Abacus Shower Tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I recently installed a new ensuite walk in shower using Abacus Single Fall tray former. I had to build a timber raised platform to sit on the concrete floor (in a flat).

I topped with 18mm chipboard and then bedded it down (sorta) using flexible adhesive. The tray former got bedded down ontop (30mm thick former). I added backerboard to the side of the tray.

The tiler fitted tiles and it looked great for a month until I noticed a slight leak to the baseboard in the same wall on the other side.

It looks like the side ledge to the tray has pulled away from the tray and caused a long line where water can and has seeped through when the shower is on (photo attached).

I think where the tile sits on the former ledge it's levering the side away (as the raised platform has 10mm backer board attached to the side) - I can only assume over time stepping on it the tile has acted as a lever and pulled ledge away.

I have ripped the tray tiles up and plan to refit. I will not use the Baker board on the side this time to reduce chance of pulling away. Whilst re doing it is there anything I should change regarding the platform ie chipboard to hardibacker or ply - what thickness?

I'm a total diy beginner and picked up stuff along the way and YouTube but much to learn. Be kind to me on here hahahahah!

Screenshot_20210901-093338_Gallery.jpg

20210723_160355.jpg

20210331_203142.jpg

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You deff have movment there you realy need to beef up the platform and tray
go over the top and make sure the frame is well attaced to the walls. tape and tank it
then make sure you use a good flexable adhesive and grout..

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Get a good tanking kit, jacko do a good one with the primer, tape
internal corners and the solution to paint on. then a good flex
addy Bal or ardex and a good flexie grout again bal or ardex
but before all that make sure the base is realy stable

O

Oli1234514

Would you suggest i remove the chipboard and replace with 18mm ply or hardie? before tanking

Reply to Tiling Abacus Shower Tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks