Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling a pool in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

I’m not a tiler by trade but have tiled plenty of times in rental properties both on floors and walls. I am now going to be tile an indoor swimming pool with glass mosaic sheets.
My first question is where do you start? My initial thoughts were to start at the top and work down but was worried about the tiles slipping down.
My second question is what grout and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use. I was told the best stuff for pools is Epoxy based but was after some clarification from people in the know.
Lastly, I’ve been told by some people not to use spacers and others say to use them so just looking for some explanation on that.
If anyone has some other tips, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

OP
K
Reaction score
So you are not a tiler you know absolutely nothing about what materials to use and where to start and you are confident enough too take on this job! Really.
Didn’t know the charge was a life sentence to want to tile your own swimming pool at your own house!

Reaction score
I would say get a professional in. tile a swimming pool in glass mosaics is a job a lot of pro tilers would think twice about I bet. Think about how much it would cost you if your tile failed, not just the replacement of materials but also the leak itself if its indoors.

Its not like a shower area or wetroom, its constantly submerged and in contact with chemicals you wouldn't have to normally worry about.

If you are adamant your going to do it, I would maybe speak to companys like Mapei, Ardex or Tilermaster and see what systems they can advise ...

OP
K
Reaction score
Got the job done 👍🏽

0DD2D92E-3A90-4605-B795-6B5216616D69.jpeg

J

Jonathan

Amazing work! Very impressive.
Do you have any tips? How did you tank it? Which products did you use? I’m planning on building my own!
Thanks

A

Amar Singh Kharaud

Thanks Jonathan!
It’s been a really long project but I’ve saved a tonne of money, had a lot of fun and learnt some good skills by doing it myself. To tank it I used Ardex S7 Plus, it’s expensive stuff but seems to be a good product. I used glass mosaics which I had shipped over from Spain and used Mapei Adesilex for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. We initially used Mapei Kerapoxy CQ grout which is an epoxy grout. The stuff was awful, it was so difficult to use. I spoke to some people in the know, and they too had awful experiences with the stuff. I called a local supplier and they recommended a normal grout which is designed for pools and wet rooms. That went on much easier. The main tip I can give you is to just get stuck in. My mindset is how wrong can it go. The other this is don’t listen to naysayers like the one in the first response! Good luck mate, be sure to post a pic of the finished product!

S

Shanbir

Fair enough couldn’t help the in over your depth comment mate because it was for a joke as in depth of pool haha

Reaction score
Firstly I'm not a tiler but have recently had a pool installed inside our home (pre constructed off site). I just wanted to highlight that anyone looking at attempting a DIY pool please do read up on the requirements for pool circulation, so that you do not put bathers at risk of entrapment (sadly there are several death a year - albeit often in foreign pools). And equally important is the DAILY maintenance of the water quality to prevent damage to pool equipment & staining etc, and awareness of the poor water quality health risks, such as legionnaires disease (also a potential killer). This means a good water cleaning system, understanding of the importance of the correct water level being maintained, knowledge of pool chemicals and a daily testing routine ( & ability to rectify any imbalances) - though you could employ someone to do the latter at around £100 a visit . Otherwise, you risk creating a death trap - really it is as serious as that - and if you don't approach it along those lines, you really shouldn't be doing it ! Indoors you also should be thinking of effective clean air ventilation system and an appropriate (permanent) dehumidifier (not cheap). Also have a think about what materials are suitable on your walls & ceiling - not just your floor. There is a significant amount responsibility and ongoing costs that comes with a pool (and even more so with a jacuzzi !)- its really something you need to do plenty of research on. Yes, its a great facility to have in your home but I would say if you don't have the commitment akin to looking after a pony, then its probably something you should leave in your dreams.

Last edited:
T

Teri Kopec

Yeah and hopefully I will notice the thousands of pounds still in my pocket. That’ll be going towards my next Bentley!
Hi Amar, firstly well done on your build! we are also building our own pool and have got to the stage of Ardex S7 plus and are wondering how difficult it is to do it ourselves (as we are not plasterers lol!) and did you do the floor aswell? I ask because we have a waterproof concrete shell (including the floor which has self levelling compound on it) so we are not sure whether to do the floor or not. Oh! and did you tile from the bottom up or the top down? Thank you.

Reply to Tiling a pool in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock