Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling a hearth on 3 different floor surfaces in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,
Looking to do my first bit of tile in a long time and could do with some advice. We are attempting to build a small fireplace hearth but it will be across 3 different floor materials: floorboards, stone and bricks. The fireplace does not work anymore.

I have attached an image and you can see the floorboards on the left, stone on the right and bricks in the fireplace. Looking to come out to the edge of the wardrobes which can be seen on the far right and using the small rectangular tiles. I was reading about hardiebacker board which would work for the floorboards but not for the rest as I wouldn't be able to screw it on.

Would it work to put backerboard down for the small floorboard part and then just more tile mortar/https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to go directly on the stone/bricks to bring them upto the same level? We'd be putting carpet down on the rest of the floor but would anything be needed to cover the visible edge of the tiles?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200203_220836.jpg
    IMG_20200203_220836.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 21

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Clean out hearth dust etc and prime with tile primer. put down slc or rapid set cement based tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Best off to fit cement borads were you wAnt them first then level hearth to that

Reply to Tiling a hearth on 3 different floor surfaces in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock