Discuss Tiling a bathroom floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I'm about to start on a DIY ensuite installation and would like the floor tiles to be flush with the bedroom floorboards which are 21mm thick. I was thinking I could remove the boards in the new bathroom and something like Hardiebakker could be screwed directly to the joists, but am I right that these sheets won't give me enough strength on their own? Do I need to keep the floorboards down and put the Hardiebakker on top of them? Or a compromise could be to put down ply instead of the floorboards then HB on top of that, but what thickness ply could I get away with? 15mm plus 6mm HB brings me to the same depth as the floorboards but then the tiles would make the finish too high. Or should I be putting the 12mm HB down for floors? Just wondering how I can get the look I am aiming for or do I need to accept that my ensuite floor will be higher than the bedroom boards. I suppose shaving down the joists before I install the ply could work but seems a bit extreme.

Reaction score
I'm about to start on a DIY ensuite installation and would like the floor tiles to be flush with the bedroom floorboards which are 21mm thick. I was thinking I could remove the boards in the new bathroom and something like Hardiebakker could be screwed directly to the joists, but am I right that these sheets won't give me enough strength on their own? Do I need to keep the floorboards down and put the Hardiebakker on top of them? Or a compromise could be to put down ply instead of the floorboards then HB on top of that, but what thickness ply could I get away with? 15mm plus 6mm HB brings me to the same depth as the floorboards but then the tiles would make the finish too high. Or should I be putting the 12mm HB down for floors? Just wondering how I can get the look I am aiming for or do I need to accept that my ensuite floor will be higher than the bedroom boards. I suppose shaving down the joists before I install the ply could work but seems a bit extreme.
hiya in this situation i would put plywood down then ditra mat then tile
hardiebacker is noy a good product in my opinion
the anti fractute mats cover most situations and are waterproof
hope this helps

Reaction score
hiya in this situation i would put plywood down then ditra mat then tile
hardiebacker is noy a good product in my opinion
the anti fractute mats cover most situations and are waterproof
hope this helps
Many thanks Jon. I'll do that. If I carpet the bedroom instead of floorboards it will bring it flush to the tiles.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
How are you getting on with your job? Have you got any photos of your progress?

Reply to Tiling a bathroom floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks