Discuss Tiles stuck to chip board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, moved into a property and dining area has been tiled. The tiles have been placed directly on to chip board floors . Really struggling to get them up, is there an easier way than chipping off tiny bits at a time? Can’t really afford to get anyone in to do it so could really do with some advice. Tile adhesive is thick grey with red, idk what they stuck them down with but I don’t like them and want them gone. All advice welcome , thanks Kelly

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
That sounds brutal.
I'm assuming that the tiles were troweled and it sounds as though an S2 (super flexible and grippy adhesive) was used.
My initial concern is that the floor may be a floating floor which adds complication, however, it sounds as though the tiles are intact and have not shown any areas of debonding or cracking.
If everything is properly intact and solid, you could consider applying a flexible self levelling compound to the floor area to prepare it for new tiles.
if you have any pics that may help with providing advice.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I have around 8 damaged. Pics attached. Underfloor heating runs under it if that gives any indication of if it floats. My original idea was pull up tiles and then Lino as currently it’s kitchen/diner and it looks odd so would prefer level and one floor. Other half is a council black thin Lino.

Attachments

• 6F285AD5-F6B2-4A24-9438-0B2CFBCCD0DE.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 12
D

Diggerdog01

Think it’s just a case of perseverance floating floor with possible ufh rules out using a breaker. Laytex option you have ruled out. Try using a wide chisel and try getting under the tile rather than chipping into it good luck

Reply to Tiles stuck to chip board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks