Discuss Tiles Onto Stainless Steel Sheet in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Marvo

A bit of an odd question I'm guessing. I have a floor that needs tiling, the existing construction is 20mm plywood on joists which has been clad with 1.2mm stainless steel sheets. The existing construction is solid and stable with very little flex but I need to tile it.

Room11.jpg

The stainless cladding is basically a pan, it has 50mm edges and it's glued to the ply with a drain toward one corner. The existing setup is waterproof so I didn't really want to remove it which would also damage the top lamination of the plywood.

It was installed originally to make a 'wet-room' that was for a diabetic amputee who used it in his wheelchair. The guy has unfortunately passed away and his wife/widow wants to be able to use the room but the stainless steel floor is too slippery for normal people who walk on feet. I have an Angolan employee who was a tiler in his past life so I was going to get him to do the tiling but I've spoken to a few local suppliers regarding the best way to go about it and I'm getting conflicting suggestions.

A couple of things that sprung to mind;
Is the expansion / contraction of the stainless floor going to be a problem?
What adhesive can be used to bond tiles to stainless steel?
The existing stainless floor doesn't have much, if any, fall toward the drain, they used to use a squeegie type thing to sweep the residual water, is it possible to make a fall by varying the adhesive thickness?

Please note this job is in South Africa and we don't have many of the products available here that you have in the UK. If it isn't available on an SA website like this one then chances are I won't find it locally.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

I was going to suggest TileMaster ultimate but I don't think you will get it where you are.

H

hmtiling

I think some 2 part levellers can go on steel. This could solve the fall issues also. Ardex na springs to mind.Availability might be an issue for you

M

Marvo

What type of chemical composition is TileMaster? Maybe I could find some local product that's similar....

S

Stef

What type of chemical composition is TileMaster? Maybe I could find some local product that's similar....
Ultimate is an S2 adhesive but is only mixed with water.
It's one of the best adhesives you can buy in the uk.

J

J Sid

Ultimate is an S2 adhesive but is only mixed with water.
It's one of the best adhesives you can buy in the uk.
isn't it what is used to prime / treat the metal prior to fix with adhesive which is the important bit?
ultimate S2 straight on metal not right

J

J Sid

as I said it's how the metal is treated before the adhesive is used wp_ss_20160518_0001.png not saying it's not good stuff, just saying it only part of the process needed ;)

S

Stef

I carried out repairs on a ships galley a few years back & used Weber spf rapid to stick to metal.
Never found out if it lasted as they needed the ferry back in action asap.

J

J Sid

pretty sure they say ok for metal as well. I would be worried if the metal wasn't abraded as well as degreased and clean.
also different metals react differently to heat and moisture, shouldn't the be taken into account as well?

S

Stef

pretty sure they say ok for metal as well. I would be worried if the metal wasn't abraded as well as degreased and clean.
also different metals react differently to heat and moisture, shouldn't the be taken into account as well?
Yeah it should but they just wanted this job done to get the boat back out asap as the spare boat was also in dry dock.
We hit the metal with some rough sand paper & carried out the repairs.
They were happy enough with it but God knows how long it would have lasted.

Reply to Tiles Onto Stainless Steel Sheet in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks