Discuss Tiles on a concrete floor butted together in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's me again.
I'll try to make this as short as possible. A good friend of mine had the floor in his studio (about 30 sq.meters) re-tiled recently and the tiles are butted together (no grout lines). I've read all the previous threads on this subject, so for me that's not a good practice. I am talking about a concrete floor, by the way. His tiles are not expensive, about 20 Euros (210 SEK as we are in Sweden) per square meter, and over here that's as cheap as it gets.
So, is it acceptable to butt up (cheap) tiles if the substrate is concrete? I hope this makes sense.

I think that "there will be tears", as one of the members on here said. :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, some of the "grout lines" were crooked. You are right. Even a small grout joint can relieve some of the stress caused by movement, but with concrete, I am not sure if there's enough movement to cause damage over time.

S

Spare Tool

By the laws of physics everything contracts and expands with changes in temperature and that includes tiles and concrete..."there will be tears"

O

On one

Just by chance, saw this on today's tiles.
''Technical reasons''........aka not square, not flat, not parallel....

20190701_112128.jpg

Reply to Tiles on a concrete floor butted together in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks