Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiles not sticking to wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

adamha

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, don't know if anyone can help but I'm having real difficulty getting tiles to stick to the current wall in bathroom. I was hoping on removing the old tiles that the surface would be ok but not great to just tile over. However every tile is not grabbing well and falls off from the slightest pull. The tiles are 300x600 ceramics. The mixture used was mapei standard set https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ ( powder). Tried a few different consistencies of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and nothing seems to hold. The walls are in pretty bad way. Pictures attached. I need help with knowing if i need to get it plastered, back borded or primed first. Dont want to plaster if it will make no difference. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.JPG
    IMG_4979.JPG
    493.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4980.JPG
    IMG_4980.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4981.JPG
    IMG_4981.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 23

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have you primed it? It looks like its pretty dry

OP
A

adamha

-
Reaction score
Have you primed it? It looks like its pretty dry
This is exactly my problem. I'm unsure if it needs it, and if so, what kind. The plaster skim has pretty much fallen off, leaving the undercoat visible on the majority of the wall. I was not sure if i should get it re skimmed, or just primed or something else.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is exactly my problem. I'm unsure if it needs it, and if so, what kind. The plaster skim has pretty much fallen off, leaving the undercoat visible on the majority of the wall. I was not sure if i should get it re skimmed, or just primed or something else.
You can’t tile directly to a backing coat. Get it skimmed. 👍

OP
A

adamha

-
Reaction score
You can’t tile directly to a backing coat. Get it skimmed. 👍
Thanks. Will I be able to tile directly to the plaster skim? Had opinions that it should be rough finsihed to get tiles to stick. Also would plaster need to be primed?

Reply to tiles not sticking to wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock