Discuss Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've run into a bit of a pickle, I'm laying 600 square floor tiles.
The sizing for them is meant to be 601x601 I'm laying with 3mm spacers and am now seeing that consistently I'm picking up tiles with 3 sides 601 and a side that's 603.
I'm now at a point that I think I may need to shave off a slight amount to bring them to a true 601 for the next couple. Is this something anyone has tackled before.

D

Dumbo

How many have you laid.
If it's not many I would think of lifting them and relaying in a brick bond

Reaction score
Lay them all the same direction and you won't have a problem
How many have you laid.
Thanks. I've laid quite a few. About 30. The issue here is that I needed to lift one after I set but it is in the middle of two already laid ones. So when I lay the tile in the grout lines are inconsistent due to the sizing. So if I shave off a small amout, like a mm or so it should square up in the space and I should be back on track again.

I will bear in mind for the other side of the room to match up the next tile with the previous in a row so that it all runs nicely.

Not all the tiles are 601 on 3 sides and 603 on another but it seems that 9 out of 10 tiles have a 603 side.
[automerge]1576968006[/automerge]
How many have you laid.
I suppose an option might be to try and identify which tiles would help to be removed and relaid with greater attention to detail in terms of the sizing. I'm not keen on the brick bond but I see how it would help with these kinds of problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would i be right in saying that with tiles that are not rectified I should look to lay the longer sides against eachother. So a 603 side in my case is butted against another 603 side.

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
They might be directional check the back of the tile for an arrow then lay the tiles with the arrows all the same way

Reaction score
They might be directional check the back of the tile for an arrow then lay the tiles with the arrows all the same way
Thanks, I checked for that and no arrows. So think best course of action is to work them that the 603 edges butt to eachother. All my other joints seem pretty good. I'm running with 3mm spacers and in a couple of places the joint runs into 2mm but it's only in a couple spots across the 30 tiles laid so far. Hopefully thatl be ok.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You want to check the batch numbers on them all. Seems odd to have one pack with only one tile out. Usually all made out about the same amount. If you've been working from several boxes at a time (as you are meant to) it could be one of the boxes are the ones with the dodgy side.

As above, check for an arrow or wording on the back, and use them all the same direction. And work the bigger ones in first so the grout joints are slightly wider on the others. Rather than the other way around which will screw you for space.

I'm thinking batch issue maybe. Check the boxes.

Also; what tiles are they where are they from? So people can avoid them lol

Reaction score
You want to check the batch numbers on them all. Seems odd to have one pack with only one tile out. Usually all made out about the same amount. If you've been working from several boxes at a time (as you are meant to) it could be one of the boxes are the ones with the dodgy side.

As above, check for an arrow or wording on the back, and use them all the same direction. And work the bigger ones in first so the grout joints are slightly wider on the others. Rather than the other way around which will screw you for space.

I'm thinking batch issue maybe. Check the boxes.

Also; what tiles are they where are they from? So people can avoid them lol
Thanks mate. I'm not sure I worded it well but I am seeing that most,if not all of the tiles have one edge of 603 and 3 at 601. So as you say they are all out the same.

They are Roma Cielo tiles from Elias Ceramics in Italy. There are no word on the back apart from made in Italy and no directional arrows so I am going to continue with what I have and just match up edges so that the longer 603 edges are next to eachother this should in theory keep the joints from running off and make the rest of the job a bit easier 🤣

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep the wording in the same direction on 'em all then mate. Good luck.

Show us some pictures when you're done mate. :)

Reaction score
Keep the wording in the same direction on 'em all then mate. Good luck.

Show us some pictures when you're done mate. :)
Would I not need to make sure that the longest edge always hit another longest edge? Otherwise where 4 tiles meet it have an extra mm each side creeping into things.

Reply to Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks