Discuss Tiles heats up when laid over Bitumen paint! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation that I'm stuck in. This is a 1980's house and we already have an in-screed electric underfloor heating (nearly 40 years old) on a concrete base. We removed the existing laminate floor to lay tiles in our hallway. Under the laminate floor are the old thin vinyl (I think marley) tiles. My tiler removed it and found the black paint (probably bitumen but we are not sure) stuck with old vinyl tiles. Photos attached for reference.

He then applied Rapid flex adhesive and fixed our 60 x 60 tiles. We were not at home and when we came back he said a lot of heat was generated when he laid the tiles. We can still feel the tiles to be warm even after 5 hours of them being laid! He has half-finished the job and yet to do the remaining half of the hall floor.

Can someone advise us on the following, please?

1. Is it hazardous to have applied the tile adhesive directly on the Black paint? We have small kids at home, so we are worried about them being exposed to asbestos from the Bitumen paint.

2. Should we remove the newly laid tiles so far completely and apply Ardex na, primer,etc., and then tile on top of it? If we remove the new tiles that were just laid today, I'm worried if the bitumen layer will peel off as well and so we will again be exposed to asbestos. I'm not sure if Bitumen paint / adhesive from the 80s contains asbestos though.

3. Or, should we just continue to lay the flex adhesive on top of the old marley tiles for the remaining part of the floor and continue with it? This way the Bitumen paint is not exposed and is under the marley tiles. Or, should we apply ardex na on top of the marley tiles?

4. We don't mind going back to laminate flooring if it is complicated to lay tiles in this situation. However, we are confused with the heat generated on the newly laid tiles and are not sure removing them is safe now.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Thanks,
Karti

20210815_222248.jpg

20210815_222251.jpg

20210815_222305.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a chemical reaction that wasn't in your favour there. Apologies for the late reply. How did you get on with this in the end?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
:) the hydration if cement is strongly exothermic. I would guess the adhesive is made with pretty much brand new cement and hasnt been sat in the bag for long. This would lead ut yo being hotter than usual as it sets. There is no reaction between bitumen and cement that I know of.

Reply to Tiles heats up when laid over Bitumen paint! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks