Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiles cracked in new bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Don't wish to play devils advocate here but Tile gaint might play the tiles have crazed for which they may try to say they don't gauantee against tiles going crazed, put the job been done over 12 months ago also ,sorry to put the mockers on it but you may find this is what they may try and say

O

One Day

I agree Andy, probably what they'll say.
Much like PC World trying to send a 5 day old broken monitor back to the manufacturer, leaving me without a monitor for weeks!
"It's company policy though" they said.
"My consumer rights trump your company policy" I said.
Took a manager to get involved but they saw sense in the end.

The consumer rights act 2015. A judge would agree that tiles should last more than 12 months.
I'd be confident pursuing a claim like this.

Reaction score
The only way possible to solve the problem is to get the TTA involved by paying for them to do detailed report which if they say it a tile defect it's a win win for you

O

One Day

Now BCT are bust and no longer paying money to TTA, I guess it could actually work now!

O

One Day

I'd like to think that the TTA would have impartial views on each job on its merits and not be suede on who sponsors them who ever they are or were ,because if that was the case it would be outrageous

It most certainly would! ;)

Reaction score
Well that's where it could be a double edge sword senerio but either way they will get a definite answer either the tile fixer a fault or the tiles are deflective but it would get resolved

OP
J
Reaction score
Take your issue back to Tile Giant who supplied the tiles.
This is not solely an issue with your job you should look into seeing if there is a group action against BCT for poor quality products.
Most likely nothing you can do now they have gone bust unless you are able to stake a claim through the administrators and then see if you can take action against Tile Giant for selling inferior materials. All long shots but IMHO it’s nothing to do with the tiler - he’s done his best - but poor quality biscuit/ glaze has caused this shrinkage as the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has dried.

OK, so if it were shrinkage in the tiles, that may explain the cracks, but would that also create the hollow air pockets that seem to be evident that jcrtiling mentioned was likely to be due to bonding issues caused by paint, or spot fixing. Would it cause them to actually blow out?

Don't wish to play devils advocate here but Tile gaint might play the tiles have crazed for which they may try to say they don't gauantee against tiles going crazed, put the job been done over 12 months ago also ,sorry to put the mockers on it but you may find this is what they may try and say

My understanding is that crazing is cracking on the glaze, and not through the whole tile? Is this correct? Would be hard to claim its crazing if the tiles are cracked right through and blown out.

Reaction score
James from seeing the pictures you posted it looks like crazing ,but like I said you may be best to get the TTA out to inspect it because the report they give by all accounts is taken in to consideration should you have go down the legal route

O

One Day

SO many possible things contributing here.
Ultimate cause of the crazing though is weak tiles and strong https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
As the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ cures, it pulls and pushes on the tile structure so you will have compressive and tensional stress across and through the tile.
Many of us here have experienced just how totally rubbish BCT tiles are, to the point we refused to fit them.
Spot fixing, tile to paint, bed depth - all possible contributing factors, but I am 99.999% positive it's simply the tiles being weak with too great an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed / spots.

OP
J
Reaction score
James from seeing the pictures you posted it looks like crazing ,but like I said you may be best to get the TTA out to inspect it because the report they give by all accounts is taken in to consideration should you have go down the legal route

I'm pretty sure it's not crazing. Again, the tiles are cracked right through the tile, not just the glaze, and no longer entirely flat against the wall.
At the moment, I'm hoping to find some sort of reasonable answer without having to resort to TTA, as I would like it to be as painless and amicable as possible. TTA inspection would be too expensive to do unless we had no choice, and were forced to go down a legal route as a last resort. Cross fingers it doesn't come to that :(

Reaction score
James how big are the tiles you've used, not that it changes the fact they are damaged in someway. was the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ used powered or ready mixed.

W

Waluigi

Part of me feels that if anyone comes out to inspect anything then the installation better be flawless. I’m talking about correct substrate preparation and that https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed needs to be as close to 100% as possible. No tiles on paint full stop and the weight limit of a plastered wall adhered to.

Otherwise I can see people wriggling out of any claim despite the material fitted potentially being at fault.

I would try to have a chat with your fitter and see what he can come up with. Who actually supplied the tiles? Was it supplied by the Bathroom company or you yourself?

Reaction score
sorry James seen the tile size 500 x 250 , in my experience I've never used expansion joints in anything under 5 metres long .but British standards quote between 8 to 10 metres,so the fact that no expansion joint may have not been used will not come in to it sorry

D

Dumbo

sorry James seen the tile size 500 x 250 , in my experience I've never used expansion joints in anything under 5 metres long .but British standards quote between 8 to 10 metres,so the fact that no expansion joint may have not been used will not come in to it sorry
You have to have a soft joint in the corner bs states this

Reply to Tiles cracked in new bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock