Discuss Tiles against brick edging – expansion gap? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, new signup here beginning first tiling job.

We've got a conservatory room at the back of our house in which we're laying some quarry tile. We've figured out the spacing, and happily the room is pretty square (3mm skew for just under 4m), so we're beginning our layout on the left hand side of the room facing outward, which is the thoroughfare between kitchen and garden and sees the most use.

One thing I hadn't considered until I set the tiles down today to get the layout – we'll be laying the edges of the tiles against the brick, with no skirting board to cover them. This raises a few questions –
  • How big should the gap be between the tile edge and the wall? Our grout lines are 2mm but although the wall is very straight, some of the bricks jut a little more or less, meaning we'll likely need more space – a quick experiment with 3mm spacers looks a bit better.
  • What should we use in between the tile edge and the wall? Presumably not grout, to allow for expansion – are there other compounds to use, or caulking etc.?
Any help much appreciated. Happy to post pictures if needed. We've sweated for a week getting the floor level, very keen not to see our work go to waste by missing a detail! – JSH

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, new signup here beginning first tiling job.

We've got a conservatory room at the back of our house in which we're laying some quarry tile. We've figured out the spacing, and happily the room is pretty square (3mm skew for just under 4m), so we're beginning our layout on the left hand side of the room facing outward, which is the thoroughfare between kitchen and garden and sees the most use.

One thing I hadn't considered until I set the tiles down today to get the layout – we'll be laying the edges of the tiles against the brick, with no skirting board to cover them. This raises a few questions –
  • How big should the gap be between the tile edge and the wall? Our grout lines are 2mm but although the wall is very straight, some of the bricks jut a little more or less, meaning we'll likely need more space – a quick experiment with 3mm spacers looks a bit better.
  • What should we use in between the tile edge and the wall? Presumably not grout, to allow for expansion – are there other compounds to use, or caulking etc.?
Any help much appreciated. Happy to post pictures if needed. We've sweated for a week getting the floor level, very keen not to see our work go to waste by missing a detail! – JSH
Silicone 👍 and 3mm is the minimum joint for floor tiling

Reply to Tiles against brick edging – expansion gap? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks