Discuss Tilers decision - easy and fast or difficult and slow? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have enjoyed a vast difference in tiling work this year. I am just finishing a wet room - couple of days fixing simple Topps Marfil ceramics 500x200 in brickbond (plus glass mosaic border). Room completed in 2 days plus grouting and finishing tomorrow. Its been nice to find something that rattled along at a good rate. My top speed this year has been 32 sq m per day laying a porcelain floor. My slowest speed has been 2.5 sq m in a day fixing Mandarin Stones Monastir Tula tiles to shower walls (only two short straights edges to square off of, not funny when you have to make vertical cuts round corners).

There is a great satisfaction in achieving volume, but sometimes a very slow job, involving challenges to my knowledge and experience at painfully slow progress can be exasperating yet ultimately highly satisfying when you see the results.

It seems increasingly that people start with "a simple kitchen splashback for you" that actually involves constructing a work access platform to work over a large Aga to set 100x25mm riven glass mosaics in a herringbone pattern with a circular border. Feature walls with splitface mosaics that take a week to clean the grout off; African encaustic patterned cement tiles that never cut cleanly where even pencil marks leave a stain; 1200x300 floor board replica porcelain with 1mm grout gaps; bathrooms with recesses on every wall for mirrors, shampoo and cleaning bottles; and pattern matching handmade tiles that are all different sizes.

When I started tiling, the measure of a quality tiler, was someone who could knock out a bathroom every two days. Now its someone who can make a silk purse out of the fanciest tiling ideas.

What do you like? Quick and simple tiling, or difficult and slow? 3_fall's posted work is a classic example of the expectations being placed on us now. It looks amazing today, but will it have become average by next year? Do you relish the opportunity to do more complex tiling, or dread the missed opportunity of laying acres of simple porcelain floor tiles?

Personally I love the complicated stuff, but it remains quite refreshing to hit a fast simple vein of tiling work now and then.

O

Old Mod

s4456.gif

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a cool post, how come it's in the arms? Should be public IMO. Everybody needs read this. The vast differences of the job these days.

Reaction score
This is a cool post, how come it's in the arms? Should be public IMO. Everybody needs read this. The vast differences of the job these days.
I am happy to have it transferred. Just thought it might appeal more to full time tilers - I am still a novice in the forums :D

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't know if I've mention this..;)...but I'm currently doing a bathroom in herringbone and it's painfully slow.
But I am enjoying it....the client's not pushing me so I can just concentrate on doing a good job.
In answer to the question I enjoy doing a bit of both.....'variety is the spice of life' as they say..

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sometimes the complex is only about the satisfaction as pro rata they never seem to earn as much as the simple less detailed bathrooms.

I

Italy

simple jobs, to me anguish ...
by then I'm old, fast work, they do not carry anything extra.
I prefer complicated work, I like to work with your head and not just your back.
later this month, the gain is the same. (for me)

O

One Day

Yesterday i got down 30sqm of limestone, various sizes from 500x500 to 500x850. Surprised myself really and might actually make a bit of money on this one! 60 more to go.....

Few weeks ago i took 3 days to fix 2 tiles.
(although they were 3.2mx1.6m magnums)

F

Flintstone

I do like to use the brain and do the more complicated jobs and jobs where the finished item is more important than just the cost.

S

Spud

I get bored doing anything too long, did a kitchen splash back in metros today and loved it , nice easy work local to home and finished early , I Wish more days were like that

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Vast floors on price is the earner, bathrooms with large tiles, decors, windows, boxing and ***** levels is the day rate challenge to make the silk purse.
Commercial BCT 25X40 walls with 5mm joint 30x30 floors is the brain killer, and mosaics to egg shaped rooms are the ones you wished you never started.
Think you need a bit of each to realise how much you still hate going to work and question why you didn't start running a brothel instead.

Reply to Tilers decision - easy and fast or difficult and slow? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks