Discuss Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles - help! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles but saying it’s not a problem. What can we reasonably expect to happen here?

The tiler finished our bathroom today and when we’ve questioned the circular marks coming through the tile he’s confessed to using dot dab but doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem. From what I’ve read on forums on this website it should not have been done like this and will need ripping out and replacing. Any advice on what we can reasonably expect him to do here? Just to confirm he has tiled over flat boarding. We will be speaking to the tile shop in regards to the fact that the adhesive is showing through the tiles but for now I need to understand if we are being unreasonable if we refuse to pay and ask him to redo the tiling?
744CCF75-50C0-49CC-9528-8F6DA94D7D4C.jpeg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for messaging. I’m not sure what he’s used. I can ask the question. Is there a type where it’s usual to do dot & dab?
Its not a recommendation to D&D , just if its tubbed adhesive then failure is more likely and the adhesive won’t fully dry on that size tile and grouted as well.

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Its not a recommendation to D&D , just if its tubbed adhesive then failure is more likely and the adhesive won’t fully dry on that size tile and grouted as well.
70CDFE7A-303B-4252-B97A-BDD57E90AAA5.jpeg

Busted, I found 4 tubs of this in the skip! So he has used pre mixed. We went to the tile shop this morning and they said exactly what you’ve just said. It even clearly states on the tub that dot and dab shouldn’t be used. He’s offered to charge us half price so we just pay for the floor tiles but we don’t know if he’s done those right and wether to pay him a thing. I knocked on the tiles and there is defo hollow spots on the wall tiles but didn’t seem to be on the floor

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
My worry about the floor is that he’s also used the ready mix which from what I’ve read shouldn’t be used on floors and I couldn’t see any other adhesive packaging in the skip. We’ve got an underfloor heating mat. He’s trying to insist on 50% payment for the floor as he said he didn’t use D&D on the floor. Is it unreasonable for me to refuse to pay him?

Reaction score
Don't pay him a penny. No self respecting tiler Dots and dabs. Yes we dot and dab here and there, corner tiles or replacement tiles. But as a whole we don't dot and dab., Also, I haven't used ready mixed adhesive for about 10 years! who does that anymore!? Also, a tiler should always use white adhesive. Grey just doesn't do it anymore. I know its cheaper but why save a pound per bag?

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. That’s exactly how we feel but he’s so adamant there’s nothing wrong with it he’s making us question if we are being unreasonable refusing to pay. The tub even says on it that it’s not suitable for tiles the size of ours and states d&d shouldn’t be used but he just keeps brushing me off

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. That’s exactly how we feel but he’s so adamant there’s nothing wrong with it he’s making us question if we are being unreasonable refusing to pay. The tub even says on it that it’s not suitable for tiles the size of ours and states d&d shouldn’t be used but he just keeps brushing me off
He hasn’t a leg to stand on. His application methods goes against industry standards bs5385

S

Steven

Not only should you not be paying him a penny, when you take those tiles off you are likely to damage your wall and there will be a cost to repair/replace it.

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
I know, we’ll have to replace the boards I imagine. If the floor needs redoing we’re going to have to replace the underfloor heating mat I imagine too not to mention having to stay in a hotel for a few days because im guessing they will have to take out our new bathroom again. Cant believe he’s insisting we pay him

Q

QS Graham

Plenty of good opinions here but not what to do next. My advice - spend a few quid on a solicitor to make sure you don't accidentally wreck your case

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Write to him with your concerns and tell him you would like him to take off a wall
tile and a floor tile to assess the coverage and his methold. and if all is ok and your happy
then you will pay him and for his extra time. might cost you a bit extra but at least
you will know and you can plan what you want to do next, but if its bad then its a
total rip out and re-do

Reaction score
Don't pay him a penny. No self respecting tiler Dots and dabs. Yes we dot and dab here and there, corner tiles or replacement tiles. But as a whole we don't dot and dab., Also, I haven't used ready mixed adhesive for about 10 years! who does that anymore!? Also, a tiler should always use white adhesive. Grey just doesn't do it anymore. I know its cheaper but why save a pound per bag?
Why is grey not used anymore? Just asking every day is a school day

Reply to Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles - help! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks