Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiler needed to replace badly fixed tiles in Greenwich/blackheath in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Would you say who the main contractor is?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, I tried to allude that I am not aware of your particular job, its just a situation that is all too common regarding bad finishes. Not many tilers like picking up other peoples work though. What is you time frame for the job to be done, I live in Cheam so not a million mile away.

I absolutely understand, no one likes picking up after other ppl. I used to do a lot of computer programming and having to sort out someone else's code can often be a nightmare as code that needs to be redone often isn't done the proper way.

We have guests coming to stay in August for a few months so ideally we'd like it done by then. If that's not possible (delay in getting the tiles etc) then it would be to start around October. How long would something like this take? It took the contractors a day to take up 7-10 of the tiles and prime the floor in the morning, and then fix some of them in the afternoon. They never stayed past 4 which is why I still have quite a few gaps in my floor.

Even if the contractors were able to do a proper job, what has annoyed me greatly is their reliability. It's taken them since February till now to replace about 15 tiles because they keep failing to turn up and pushing back.

Reaction score
the tile was a small part of a larger low 6-figure renovation. All the bits that the main contractor didn't handle I certainly paid a premium (kitchen and bar cost just under 6-figures). I asked for the ground floor to be tiled, I expected the contractors to do a proper job or hire someone who could. Had I been given the choice of poorly done tiles for X and properly done tiles for 2X I'd certainly have gone for the latter.

If it's going to cost me £80/m2 to redo it then so be it, but I do know the going rate for a proper job will be more around the 45-60 region. I may have the ability to pay a premium but i'm not going to be a sucker
First picture here is the going rate you are talking, see second picture is a ''premium rate well worth the money

IMG_20190227_102829.jpg

Shower shelf 3.jpg

O

One Day

I'd be wary of taking such a job on. Just explaining from a tilers perspective: quite often a customer sees this kind of work as a real pain and it becomes a "grudge purchase". In other words, the customer wants it put right as quickly as possible and for less money than the first time round. Then to complicate things, if there is a couple, one is usually good cop and one is bad cop, venting all the hurt, anger and frustration whilst you're trying to help.

Not always, and I get the impression that op here is totally genuine and has eyes wide open. But personally, I would always spend quite a bit of time talking (read; interviewing) with a prospective customer to get a good feeling before taking on something like this.

It's horrible coming into a project after all the frustration and hurt, but equally it can be very rewarding to see happy faces at the end...

OP
D
Reaction score
First picture here is the going rate you are talking, see second picture is a ''premium rate well worth the money

I assume you're being a little tongue in cheek here. If that isn't the case whilst I trust a professional's opinion, the subcontractor they got to do the bathroom tiles did a brilliant job. Solid https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed and both floor and wall tiles all flat. His rate was 50/m2. I also asked an acquaintance who renovates homes to sell as a living what his tiler charges and he said around 55/m2. Of course I asked him if his tiler could do my job but he said no. The only place I enquired that charged £80/m2 was stone interiors who did my kitchen surface which cost a fortune

OP
D
Reaction score
Not always, and I get the impression that op here is totally genuine and has eyes wide open. But personally, I would always spend quite a bit of time talking (read; interviewing) with a prospective customer to get a good feeling before taking on something like this.

thanks for that. It's hard to know how one will come across to strangers on a public forum but being completely green about tiles when I first moved back into the house post renovation (and the tiles looked fantastic on the surface, all flat as they used a levelling system).

Bottom line, I just want the job done properly. If that involves taking time for both sides to agree on what needs to be done and how what was done prior might affect that, then there'll be no complaints from me. I'd rather get this done right once (or in this case, one more time) than rush through it and suffer from issues in a few years time.

I've been dicked around by the contractors for 6 months now and I simply want someone who acts with professional courtesy. I'd rather someone tell me that it's going to take 3 weeks to do the job and have to start later than I'd hoped than to come up with excuses at each turn for why they couldn't make it.

I've made sure not to pay the contractors for any of the tile work and I'm not looking to find a replacement on the cheap

Last edited:
B

Bill

Why not advertise your job correctly then?....

What I mean is that you need to set a date, add a precise town location and be as flexible as you can with a new tile contractor.

If you are willing to pay top whack then make sure you get a top whack tiler - the issue is, the top whack tiler will probably have a full diary. Patience and negotiation are key.

D

Dumbo

I would think you are at a point where you could kick them off the job now as you have given them the chance to rectify. I think you should now be talking to a solicitor about not paying for the tile and not paying the retention to help with the cost of relaying the floor .

Reaction score
I assume you're being a little tongue in cheek here. If that isn't the case whilst I trust a professional's opinion, the subcontractor they got to do the bathroom tiles did a brilliant job. Solid https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed and both floor and wall tiles all flat. His rate was 50/m2. I also asked an acquaintance who renovates homes to sell as a living what his tiler charges and he said around 55/m2. Of course I asked him if his tiler could do my job but he said no. The only place I enquired that charged £80/m2 was stone interiors who did my kitchen surface which cost a fortune

''the subcontractor they got to do the bathroom tiles did a brilliant job. Solid https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed and both floor and wall tiles all flat. His rate was 50/m2.''
Why not hire those subcontractors to fix the job then?

OP
D
Reaction score
''the subcontractor they got to do the bathroom tiles did a brilliant job. Solid https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed and both floor and wall tiles all flat. His rate was 50/m2.''

Why not hire those subcontractors to fix the job then?

I have asked the main contractors twice already to get the subcontractors to finish the job and I will pay the difference and twice they've come up with some excuse as to why it's not possible.

OP
D
Reaction score
Why not advertise your job correctly then?....

What I mean is that you need to set a date, add a precise town location and be as flexible as you can with a new tile contractor.

If you are willing to pay top whack then make sure you get a top whack tiler - the issue is, the top whack tiler will probably have a full diary. Patience and negotiation are key.

I'm kind of in limbo at the moment with respect to timing as the replacement tiles have already been ordered by the contractors but not delivered as they are coming in from Italy. Ideally I would have the tile supplier deliver them to the house but I'm at the mercy of how quickly the tiles get here (if they need to be manufactured first it could be an extra week or so).

For location, greenwich/blackheath is not precise enough?

As for flexibility I would like to think from my posts I've come across as being flexible with regards to timing and cost so long as the job gets done properly

I guess best course of action is to wait till I have concrete details on when the replacement tiles are ready and then post again with more specifics on time, number of tiles and approx budget?

Reply to Tiler needed to replace badly fixed tiles in Greenwich/blackheath in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock