Discuss Tiler needed to replace badly fixed tiles in Greenwich/blackheath in the Work Wanted for Wall and Floor Tile Fixers area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I made a post earlier this year regarding poorly fixed tiles and after much to and fro the contractors agreed to start replacing the tiles. They have since redone the hallway and front room and whilst they now have a nice solid bed under them, they are all at different heights to each other, some not going far enough under the skirting, and the spaces between the tiles are all different despite my providing them with spacers.

Tell me I'm not wrong in finding this unacceptable.

Are there any trust-worthy cscs registered tilers that would be willing to take on the job of removing the existing tiles and fitting new ones.

IMG_20190517_173626.jpg

IMG_20190517_174523.jpg

IMG_20190517_174617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Your not wrong in finding this unacceptable - however 60 no 900x900mm is about 74sq mts - so are you replacing the whole area or just odd tiles.

Reaction score
60 x .81m2 = 48.6m2 I believe, still a lot though.
As for level, I am always amazed that the clients want the tilers to level the prepared floor they give them to work with. I understand it may not be the case here but may I ask, did the tiler screed the floor, are they confined to meeting critical heights anywhere? manholes, steps, the list goes on. I will be honest here, most of the clients I work for have make no consideration planning the job to what the expect as a final finish. This will spark all kinds of backlash I know and I feel sorry that the clients expectation were no met in this instance I truly do. We do need to know the whole story before we chastise people trying to cut a living. If my wife goes to work (computer programmer) and makes a mess of the code she gets paid anyway, in this line of business we have to compete to get the job, put up with bad organising, deal with contaminated surfaces, deal with indecision, and fight to get paid. Add to the list if I have forgotten anything. Prep Prep Prep is the first stage in this business, and as a tiling contractor, it would be cheaper to get the prep done by others. Sorry.

B

Bill

As for level, I am always amazed that the clients want the tilers to level the prepared floor they give them to work with. I understand it may not be the case here but may I ask, did the tiler screed the floor, are they confined to meeting critical heights anywhere? manholes, steps, the list goes on. I will be honest here, most of the clients I work for have make no consideration planning the job to what the expect as a final finish. This will spark all kinds of backlash I know and I feel sorry that the clients expectation were no met in this instance I truly do. We do need to know the whole story before we chastise people trying to cut a living. If my wife goes to work (computer programmer) and makes a mess of the code she gets paid anyway, in this line of business we have to compete to get the job, put up with bad organising, deal with contaminated surfaces, deal with indecision, and fight to get paid. Add to the list if I have forgotten anything. Prep Prep Prep is the first stage in this business, and as a tiling contractor, it would be cheaper to get the prep done by others. Sorry.
Perfect reply.

Reaction score
Now that is another can of worms, why o why didn't they describe your qualifications on that card so we could see what we are getting? By the by I get a gold one for being OLD! Mates of mine who are electricians and engineering people hate that

D

Dumbo

Now that is another can of worms, why o why didn't they describe your qualifications on that card so we could see what we are getting? By the by I get a gold one for being OLD! Mates of mine who are electricians and engineering people hate that
You would still have to do osat and pay for the pleasure

Reaction score
First, putting a level on the tiles means nothing. If the floor is running then the tiles will run, unless of course you paid to have the floor leveled as well by the same guys. My motto is I'm paid to make it flat not level. As long as it's flat and no lips then it's acceptable. I can see in that photo that there is variation in joint width.

the picture with the level was meant to highlight the difference in height between adjacent tiles.

I should have said the tiles are not flat as opposed to just leaving a picture with a level.

If I were to drag my trainers across where the tiles join, the tread will catch on the edge of the tiles because some tiles are almost 3mm higher than the adjacent ones

It's also worth stating that they left without grouting (and also left 6 tiles that they took up and primed but didn't have time to tile) and didn't bother to clear the excess adhesive between the tiles so I had to do that before the adhesive set.

bottom line, the ppl who did these tiles are not professional tilers, but main contractors who have likely just seen tiling done before and trying to save a few quid and doing it themselves

IMG_20190606_202308.jpg

IMG_20190606_202332.jpg

IMG_20190606_202343.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
As for level, I am always amazed that the clients want the tilers to level the prepared floor they give them to work with.

I replied to another comment, I used a level to show the difference in height between tiles as opposed to the tiles themselves being level. The screed underneath is actually level, but the tiles themselves are not flat. It's like lego bricks of diff heights, it's that obvious

IMG_20190606_202308.jpg

IMG_20190606_202332.jpg

given the responses, is the size of this sort of remedial work something that is unattractive to professional tilers? There must be something I'm missing here because I've told the contractors that cost is not an issue. I simply want the tiles done to a professional standard and am willing to pay extra for them to hire someone to do it and they still want to use their own guys for the job. The only reason why I haven't explicitly told them not to finish the job is that I have no idea how to look for a trustworthy replacement that will do a satisfactory job.

Last edited:

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I made a post earlier this year regarding poorly fixed tiles and after much to and fro the contractors agreed to start replacing the tiles. They have since redone the hallway and front room and whilst they now have a nice solid bed under them, they are all at different heights to each other, some not going far enough under the skirting, and the spaces between the tiles are all different despite my providing them with spacers.

Tell me I'm not wrong in finding this unacceptable.

Are there any trust-worthy cscs registered tilers that would be willing to take on the job of removing the existing tiles and fitting new ones .

View attachment 107226

View attachment 107227

View attachment 107228
How much did you pay for this job? Be honest

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi, I tried to allude that I am not aware of your particular job, its just a situation that is all too common regarding bad finishes. Not many tilers like picking up other peoples work though. What is you time frame for the job to be done, I live in Cheam so not a million mile away.

Reaction score
How much did you pay for this job? Be honest

the tiling was a small part of a larger low 6-figure renovation. All the bits that the main contractor didn't handle I certainly paid a premium. I asked for the ground floor to be tiled, I expected the contractors to do a proper job or hire someone who could. Had I been given the choice of poorly done tiles for X and properly done tiles for 2X I'd certainly have gone for the latter.

If it's going to cost me £80/m2 to redo it then so be it, but I do know the going rate for a proper job will be more around the 45-60 region. I may have the ability to pay a premium but i'm not going to be a sucker

Reply to Tiler needed to replace badly fixed tiles in Greenwich/blackheath in the Work Wanted for Wall and Floor Tile Fixers area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks