Discuss Tilebacker fixings sitting proud of board in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Guy

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I've used Fischer hammer in fixings to secure Gyproc tilebacker to a masonry wall. The fixings sit proud of the board by approx 3mm (12mm dia). Will this cause any issues when tiling onto the board? The tiles are 1200x600mm and weight 17kg each so need to be sure before installing.

Reaction score
Its not desirable to have any protrusions, be mindful that the largest protrusion is the starting point. My main concern would be the actual flatness and how any variation in the background was taken up. 1200x600 tiles are visually very nice when done well, but if not then its awful to look at. No have a go heroes need apply for this one.

D

Dumbo

I would refix them level , which will probably mean new ones .
Can you post a picture and is this the only method of support.

O

One Day

You can install these boards using dri-wall adhesive. Backed up with anchors if really needed.
Maybe just whizz the holes with a counter sink bit would help?
Personally, I'd use a thermal xps board like delta/wedi etc.

D

Dumbo

You can install these boards using dri-wall adhesive. Backed up with anchors if really needed.
Maybe just whizz the holes with a counter sink bit would help?
Personally, I'd use a thermal xps board like delta/wedi etc.
I agree after all that gyprock stuff is very pricey and although they say it's water proof they say on a commercial application it needs water proofing/tanking so therefore it's only waterproof a little bit, so in fact not actually water proof .

Guy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I have installed the boards using drywall adhesive and hammer in fixings, so they are more than secure. My concern is tiling over the fixings as they stick out by approx 3mm. However if I use 8mm thick adhesive I'll be able to loose the fixings underneath and still be able to keep the tiles level. I assume this wont affect the adhesion of the tiles to the boards. No danger of the tiles falling off.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know if I was fixing tiles that size then the bed of adhesive I'd be using wouldn't make it a problem but I'd still try and get them flush if I could.

O

On one

If the hammer in fixings can be unscrewed,
I would be tempted to unscrew one at a time,countersink the board and hammer in again.

Reaction score
8mm Thick adhesive, allow 1.3kg per mm per m2 minimum. Might be cheaper to get the fixing flat use less adhesive thickness. IMHO.

Reply to Tilebacker fixings sitting proud of board in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks