Discuss Tile Trim, No Grout Gap..... And A Rant To Finish in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JonesP

-
Reaction score
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right, no grout gap against the tile looks better. I did put a bit of coloured silicone between just to seal the gap and it looks good, But do I have a grout gap in the reveal up against the tile trim ? I hope you know what I mean, or another pic is coming.
Ok my Rant. I am busting a gut to keep the tiles level, lippage wise, it's my first time tiling, I have a trade, Mechanical Engineering, a Fitter & Turner 40 years working to fine tolerances. Half way through the tiling I Google tile lippage to find out some tiles are f#####g warped. No wonder I am struggling. I am now checking the tiles and yes 50% are warped, I will keep them for cuts, bit late now but how the hell do warped tiles get through quality control ? Can you take warped tiles back to the shop and replace for straight ? I bought these online, a tile I seen in Topps found them online a lot cheaper, Wave Mist or something, Are they seconds ? So many bloody questions, this tiling game is a minefield. I am stressed, Tile Trim reveal, Grout ?

JonesP

-
Reaction score
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right, no grout gap against the tile looks better. I did put a bit of coloured silicone between just to seal the gap and it looks good, But do I have a grout gap in the reveal up against the tile trim ? I hope you know what I mean, or another pic is coming.
Ok my Rant. I am busting a gut to keep the tiles level, lippage wise, it's my first time tiling, I have a trade, Mechanical Engineering, a Fitter & Turner 40 years working to fine tolerances. Half way through the tiling I Google tile lippage to find out some tiles are f#####g warped. No wonder I am struggling. I am now checking the tiles and yes 50% are warped, I will keep them for cuts, bit late now but how the hell do warped tiles get through quality control ? Can you take warped tiles back to the shop and replace for straight ? I bought these online, a tile I seen in Topps found them online a lot cheaper, Wave Mist or something, Are they seconds ? So many bloody questions, this tiling game is a minefield. I am stressed, Tile Trim reveal, Grout ?
What I meant was I am a tradesman, not this trade but I am fussy, good but bloody slow tiling lol

Reaction score
Hey JonesP

Like you I came from engineering (aviation) and I feel your pain 🙂. I take it you are doing this for a living now?
Tile trims should be bread and butter for you.😆 I found that there is a massive selection of different quality and styles its hard to choose. I tend to take the tile the customer is using and choose the trim that best suits both for looks and practicality. Some trims are designed with a grout stop and it gives a perfect gap. The ones without this gap definitely look better butted up to the tile but it can be difficult to achieve a good edge if the tiles are not perfectly aligned.
Regarding the lippage there are a good choice of levelling systems on the market. I tend to use a combination of 3 types. Large wedges 2mm, small yellow wedges 2mm with a curved base. These are quite good on an uneven wall. the last being a wind on reusable system, again great for twisted tiles or uneven walls.
Regarding the tiles you need to look out for rectified or non rectified. This can also cause a fair amount of pain as I've discovered in the past. The first batch of floor tiles laid perfectly but when I broke into the second batch, as I was laying the tiles they started to creep quite badly i.e not squaring up with the levelling pegs I was using (3mm) on checking the tile dimensions some of the tiles were 2mm out even with the directional arrows.
The only other advice I would say is prep and planning is the key to a good.
Good luck👍

JonesP

-
Reaction score
Hey JonesP

Like you I came from engineering (aviation) and I feel your pain 🙂. I take it you are doing this for a living now?
Tile trims should be bread and butter for you.😆 I found that there is a massive selection of different quality and styles its hard to choose. I tend to take the tile the customer is using and choose the trim that best suits both for looks and practicality. Some trims are designed with a grout stop and it gives a perfect gap. The ones without this gap definitely look better butted up to the tile but it can be difficult to achieve a good edge if the tiles are not perfectly aligned.
Regarding the lippage there are a good choice of levelling systems on the market. I tend to use a combination of 3 types. Large wedges 2mm, small yellow wedges 2mm with a curved base. These are quite good on an uneven wall. the last being a wind on reusable system, again great for twisted tiles or uneven walls.
Regarding the tiles you need to look out for rectified or non rectified. This can also cause a fair amount of pain as I've discovered in the past. The first batch of floor tiles laid perfectly but when I broke into the second batch, as I was laying the tiles they started to creep quite badly i.e not squaring up with the levelling pegs I was using (3mm) on checking the tile dimensions some of the tiles were 2mm out even with the directional arrows.
The only other advice I would say is prep and planning is the key to a good.
Good luck👍
Thanks Joe, no I could never do this for a living, I am to fussy and way to slow. My son is doing a house out so I said I would do the bathroom, sunk the wastes into the concrete floor and the supply water and rad pipes into the walls. I have put tile trim flush to the tiles, no grout and the reveal tiles flush to the trim on Dave's advice. If it goes **** up I will blame Dave lol. No it's looking good to be fair, I owe him a beer. I have borrowed my mates tile cutter which is absolutely *****, a huge McAllister score and snap that moves about 3mm off a marked line, so cutting with a 4.5" marcrist disk. Using tile leveling from pro tiler which are good for fine tuning. But the most useful thing I have is a length of 3x1 planed timber which a use off another wall as a ram or jamb. I haven't seen 1 in tilers tools in screwfix lol. Tile wedges ? I am gonna Google them, that is a new 1

Reply to Tile Trim, No Grout Gap..... And A Rant To Finish in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks