Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
We are having a constant battle with learners and employers of apprentices regarding leaving tile spacers in the joint. This is something I have never done on any job ( that I can remember:rolleyes5:). There are loads of YouTube vids and many pieces of literature that show the spacer in the joint but it will never state that is has to be removed (annoying :mad2: ). There are lots of reasons why it isn't acceptable. Has anyone had any experience with this, e.g., customer, site agent , Clark of works, architect or another fixer, OR tile lecturer:eek:mg_smile:. Want side of the fence are you on!!
(apologies if this has been discussed before..)

OP
M

m3fitter

#
to be honest boys........ get a grip......its a spacer ! enough said... if you have enough time to dedicate any brain time to take out spacers or not.... @@ !! life's far too short

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok here's a link to the other thread http://www.tilersforums.com/43-tiling-forum/65515-tile-spacers-4.html Unfortunatley the link to the TTA article (post 14 from John Benton) doesn't work any more, which is annoying as it was quite a good read. I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

The two main points were these:- It can weaken the joint because of the lack of grout in the joint and also because the depth of grout is not the same throughout the joint, the colour shading could possibly vary i.e. the thinner the grout, the lighter it becomes.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
John,that's the problem, I've taken out many a bathroom,kitchen ect after years of being down, with all the spacers in,never seen a problem yet .
Does this make it right I here the few say?
Of course it does, if it's never been a problem for decades ,why should it start now ?
The internet and forums are the main culprit for this,someone can say ' I've never left a spacer in, it can make you house fall down'
2 months later it's spread around the internet and the worlds ended just cos of a little plastic spacer
I will put money on every tiler leaving spacers in a job ,especially them who have been at it like me since the 80s, when we plastered the sites( big detached) we tiled them as well, spacers left in, never a problem

OP
C

charlie1

I just can't believe someone would actually attempt to remove a spacer that's been fully inserted, there either daft and think that's what your meant to do...or...they have too much time and I'm sorry, I just don't believe people actually do this.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In 32 years of tile I've never left a spacer in..
I use spacers as pegs and only space the horizontal line.....and I've never put a spacer in a floor tile on my life just do it with stright edges and a keen eye. .
Just the way ive always done it and always will. .:thumbsup:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow, even serving you time, as a kid,never left one in, not one , hard to believe and can't be proved,but well done Andy[emoji106]
,I knew you would be the 1st to answer my question with a negative , you hate us so called multi traders with a Charles bronson kinda vengeance [emoji7][emoji8]

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow, even serving you time, as a kid,never left one in, not one , hard to believe and can't be proved,but well done Andy[emoji106]
,I knew you would be the 1st to answer my question with a negative , you hate us so called multi traders with a Charles bronson kinda vengeance [emoji7][emoji8]

We'll make a tiler out of you one day mate. .:lol:

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Dont get wrong I couldn't give a toss if you leave them in or take them out can't see it makes much difference.
Just saying when I started tile most tiles were pilks or crystal and didn't need spacing wasn't till you got the influx of foreign tiles that needed spacing then you generally used pegs.....and we never used spacers on floors and I find it easier to do that way...

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And I've got nothing against muti traders...

I think every tiler should have one as a labourer..:lol:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ha ha love the last post andy [emoji106]
Actually i forgot about the pilkington and crystal tiles with the nibs on,horrible things,.

OP
D

Dougs Third Go

In 32 years of tile I've never left a spacer in..
I use spacers as pegs and only space the horizontal line.....and I've never put a spacer in a floor tile on my life just do it with stright edges and a keen eye. .
Just the way ive always done it and always will. .:thumbsup:
likewise andy.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think is just a preffered method to do the job,like tilers who use the tapes measuring and tilers who use the tiles for measure and cut.If need take out the spaces in this tiles take the same time we tiled. scoala 005.jpg scoala 006.jpg scoala 007.jpg

Reply to Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock